Ran the 446

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I can't amagin lighting the tires up in third like you said on pavement.. Mine won't do that at all, just pulls a huge wheelie.
Dude I was coming down the block and got to the end, down shifted to 3rd and hit the turn and just punched it, the quad took off and the wheels were still spinning. Steering gets very light under full acceleration. I'm still thinking about trying a 14 tooth fron sprocket to see how much more torque it has. Current setup is 15/38.

Did a compression test today, it was 40°F out and I did it cold. Came in at 155 PSI, I'm going to assume that at full running temps it'll test at 170 PSI.

Dave,
Have you ran the bike in the sand with paddles? Do you guys have dunes up there? I have a 430cc motor in my 14 year olds warrior (was mine I got a yfz). I bought the motor already built from someone parting out his bike. The head is ported and polished,aftermarket cam(not sure what grind) and it has great torque and only runs good on 110. I just recently put a 40mm edlebrock on it and It has even more torque than it did before. It dunes great but it is slow as molasses going up the hill. So, I don't know what bore or stroke it has and wonder what your bore and stroke are? I'm just guessing the stroke is longer on the 446. Can I go to a larger bore to get the 446?
Rob

Dave,
Have you ran the bike in the sand with paddles? Do you guys have dunes up there? I have a 430cc motor in my 14 year olds warrior (was mine I got a yfz). I bought the motor already built from someone parting out his bike. The head is ported and polished,aftermarket cam(not sure what grind) and it has great torque and only runs good on 110. I just recently put a 40mm edlebrock on it and It has even more torque than it did before. It dunes great but it is slow as molasses going up the hill. So, I don't know what bore or stroke it has and wonder what your bore and stroke are? I'm just guessing the stroke is longer on the 446. Can I go to a larger bore to get the 446?
Rob

That thing with those mods should not be slow by any means. You have what sounds like to me is the Powroll stroker kit. 9.5mm more stroke and 86mm overbore. FST does 10.5mm more and 87mm overbore.
I think it would be pointless to go have the crank sent off again. Unless you've been lied to. I would call CWR up and talk to him about having the cases bored out and going with the 89mm overbore with 12:1 compression piston as he does the 9.5mm more stroke to his cranks so this should match up well and also go from 430 to 460cc plus more compression.
I would try and find out what cam is in it. Also make sure the jetting is good along with gearing.

I was going to mention the gearing as well, let us know what tooth counts you have. These long stroke motors don't rev like the short stroke 450s do so it may seem to be slow. The idea is to gear it right and shift it to a higher gear, don't rev it, these motors have the midrange of a Harley-Davidson.

Hey Jay I'm wondering if I get that adjustable cam sproket if I'll make any difference. I mean I'd probably have to retard the cam to get a bit more upper end.

Hey Jay I'm wondering if I get that adjustable cam sproket if I'll make any difference. I mean I'd probably have to retard the cam to get a bit more upper end.

This will allow for you to move your power band around a little bit. On my engine design program 5 degrees advance was the best for the stock stroke.. I think though your after more mid and top end. A little bigger carb would help that as well as retarding the cam timing a couple degrees. You would maybe see 500-1000 rpm difference in where the power comes in.

you'll be amazed at the difference. It's pretty easy and if you need any help let me know.
I think the next thing I would be is a FCR carb off of a 450r or yfz. I think I would go with the 39mm version, but if you're looking for more torq rather then mid and top end go with the 37mm. Both will be a big upgrade to the edelbrock you have now.

I just got the TM42 for my Harley, trust me I have thought about it lol, but nah it's a bit on the big side for the Warrior. Nice carb though. It's set up for the duel cable twist throttle.

Put the Raptor350 clutch parts on today, all I can say is WOW, even with mickeys 446 super duty springs, the clutch pulls like butter. I can pull it with one finger, before I needed all four. This is the best $30 I ever spent on this quad.

Did a compression test today, it was 40°F out and I did it cold. Came in at 155 PSI, I'm going to assume that at full running temps it'll test at 170 PSI.

Did some checking on my warrior engine I built. I should mention that all engine checks should be done warm as compression will increase and rings will seal in the bore better but I did them cold with the throttle fully open. I got about 175 psi. I was pretty happy with that, still wishing I was up in the 190's. 200 is pusing it and about all the compression you can run with pump gas. The other thing I found was amazing was this engine is about a season old after rebuilt with I'd say 500 miles on it. Less then 5 percent leak down. Very impressive.
I'm loving the raptor clutch mod. So easy to pull it's amazing.

I'm thinking of mabe going back to a 40 tooth rear sprocket just to see. Mickey actually recommeded this (15/40) I'm currently at 15/38. Although the topend on this motor is insane!!!! ;)

haha...wow this thread gives me the feaver again.... less then 3 weeks i should know what u mean by the 446 being a compleatly diffrent beast... lol i know this is going to sound stupid but i have a 12 tooth front and stock rear gear set up because were i ride i cant get it out of 3rd gear befor i have to slow down i was wondering what you think about riding it with the gearing i have on it... i know im probably not going to beable to keep the front end down but idk will see.... ill let you know when i get it back and post my thoughts on joining the 446 club!

Yamahaquad350 said:
haha...wow this thread gives me the feaver again.... less then 3 weeks i should know what u mean by the 446 being a compleatly diffrent beast... lol i know this is going to sound stupid but i have a 12 tooth front and stock rear gear set up because were i ride i cant get it out of 3rd gear befor i have to slow down i was wondering what you think about riding it with the gearing i have on it... i know im probably not going to beable to keep the front end down but idk will see.... ill let you know when i get it back and post my thoughts on joining the 446 club!

Hey man, I wouldn't run that 12er up front, I'm runnin a 15/38 and can't keep the wheels down, you'll actually run out of gear with the 12 tooth because the motor will pull for ever.

jasonp said:

This will allow for you to move your power band around a little bit. On my engine design program 5 degrees advance was the best for the stock stroke.. I think though your after more mid and top end. A little bigger carb would help that as well as retarding the cam timing a couple degrees. You would maybe see 500-1000 rpm difference in where the power comes in.

which program do you have? are there any free ones out there i could get?

tiimbo said:
jasonp said:

????????????

lol u got me....idk what that comments refering to.....

but yeah i belive your right about needing to change out the old 12er.... i used to love going through the gears like mad but when the 446 is back im gonna need to move up.. to atleast a 14 tooth to keep the front end down....however im deffently looking in to getting a longer swing arm 3-4+ ....nothing too wild id like to keep it jumpable

dave76 said:
tiimbo said:

????????????

yea i know, it was outta left field, but anyways, congrats on the kid and the 446. do you happen to know how much hp or torque you got out of it?

Back