putting top end back together

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorkid23

Reaction score
Well I should be getting my cyl back soon and I was wondering if there is any tricks to putting the top end back together. Should i put some yamabond under the base gaskets? Also is there a certain way the cam chain gets lined up?

Thanks
justin

I rebuilt my blaster's engine last summer crank and all so I don't think this can be any worse than that.

There should be a screw-in plug on the top of your engines side cover (shifter side) That has a slot in it for a straight screw driver. Take that out, and slowly rotate the engine while looking inside the hole that the plug was in. You are stareing at the flywheel. There should be a "T" on the flywheel that lines up with a line at the top of the hole that the plug was in. Line the "T" up with the line at the top of the hole. Now on the cylinder head where the cam sprocket is there should be a small bump at the top, center part that the cover goes over. Also notice there is a vertical line on your cam sproket. Line the line up with the bump at the top while keeping your flywheel on the "T" and thats how you time it.

I didnt use any sealant under the base gasket when i replaced mine.

Take your time! Best thing i can say. I did this last summer and it wasn't too bad but I had the manual next to me. Like stated above for lining up the timing and cam sprocket to the crank.

so do you make sue the piston is all the way down when putting the jug back on? Or do you install the jug arounf the piston then TDC the piston then install the head and the cam chain?

Also, new cam chain install, is that difficult long process? does the stator come off with the side cover? Should I replace the cam chain since I have it all apart? There a difference in strength between DID and stock?

I was by myself so i had the piston at its low point and then once the jug was on it was cake. I never replaced the valve seals so now i got to take the head off again.

Ok.....so I got my new cam installed, quick port job and new HD springs in......my question is about putting all back together. Right now the cam is able to move left and right until it hits the lifters on either side (shown in my illustration below) is that right? How do i set it up to time it; leave it as in and put the cam sprocket on? There something on the cam sprocket that make the cam aligned in the right spot once the crank is TDC?

head.jpg

yea you will want to put the cam sprocket on. the sprocket has a line on it that you then line up with a indent at the top of the head where the cam cover sits. the indent is on the inside of the head, right below where the top of the cam cover seals. then you make sure the piston is TDC by the "T" marking on the flywheel lined up with the marking on the case and then put your cam chain on the cam sprocket. you will know if your one tooth off as all the markings wont quit line up. hope this makes sense, if you have manual, they show pictures of every mark that you have to line up and also tell the procedure in much better detail

also your picture wouldnt show up for me

I read through that section in the book and looked at everything a little closer. I get it now. For what ever reason it seemed to be almost to easy.

Update, got the flywheel pulled and installed the new DID chain. So I'm all good to go and get the whole engine back together!

WELL FML.......the piston rings that dave76 sold me were too big.........and I broke one........I recall him telling me they were from mickey dunlap......anyways, now I gatta wait till the New JE set comes in.

deadlastracing said:
WELL FML.......the piston rings that dave76 sold me were too big.........and I broke one........I recall him telling me they were from mickey dunlap......anyways, now I gatta wait till the New JE set comes in.

Yeah you shouldn't use, "used" rings. So it is good that you got new ones that way you will have a much better chance that the rings will seat into the bore. That piston was from Mickey so he knows what rings go on this piston. Make sure and check ring end gap.
Make sure when installing them you stagger the rings or "time" them. Also you might (will) need a ring compressor to get them to slide into the bore otherwise it is very easy to break a ring. Use some light oil on the jug.

Mickey sell JE pistons? right on the bottom inside it says JE 85M.

I tryed to and yes I was using a ring compressor......I put the ring into the jug off the piston but made sure they were flush straight in the middle.....sure enough there was ring overlap on the ends. It was weird though because the oil rings fit but the two thicker retaing rings were to big? WTF? I think the retaiers were for a 86mm.
P5100125.jpg

deadlastracing said:
Mickey sell JE pistons? right on the bottom inside it says JE 85M.

I tryed to and yes I was using a ring compressor......I put the ring into the jug off the piston but made sure they were flush straight in the middle.....sure enough there was ring overlap on the ends. It was weird though because the oil rings fit but the two thicker retaing rings were to big? WTF? I think the retaiers were for a 86mm.

Yes he is a dealer for JE.

You shouldn't have ring overlap. If you do then they have to "gapped" or ends of the ring filed down to size. That way when the rings expand they have a place to go and take up that gap. If you have none or overlap then they will break.
What is a retainers? Upper compression rings? The piston pin retaining rings?
I would recommend talking to JE tech and have them send you the info spec sheet that comes with there 85mm piston as that will help you time the ring end gaps and get the right ring end gap spacing on each ring.

upper compression rings.....I've heard them be called retaining rings. I plan on calling JE today to get this all sorted out.

Well FML again.........called JE, they need a item/ job number which the put on the bottom of every Piston they sell. I m at work so I called my lil bro to go to my house and check he bottom of my piston, No numbers other then the JE 85M forged mark. WTF!!!!!! JE says they didn't make it because there are no numbers. My Dave76 buy is not as good as it seemed to be, first the keepers and now this? Jesus, I hope when and If I do ever get it back together the thing doesnt blow up!

deadlastracing said:
Well FML again.........called JE, they need a item/ job number which the put on the bottom of every Piston they sell. I m at work so I called my lil bro to go to my house and check he bottom of my piston, No numbers other then the JE 85M forged mark. WTF!!!!!! JE says they didn't make it because there are no numbers. My Dave76 buy is not as good as it seemed to be, first the keepers and now this? Jesus, I hope when and If I do ever get it back together the thing doesnt blow up!

JE did make it. Dumb asses. Why would they need the numbers. ****. It is a 85mm piston for a warrior. I have the spec sheet laying around. I can fax it to you. Do you have a fax? I might be able to even copy it and then I can e-mail it.
The top 2 rings on the piston are called the Compression rings as they stop the compression gases from blowing by the top of the piston.
The next Ring is called the oil ring. Wipes the oil off the cylinder that the crank bearing provides.
Maybe calling FST Mickey might be the thing to do. I am not for sure if these are excatly as you have an older piston. May want to make sure. http://www.vitosperformance.com/atv_parts/product.php?productid=11243&cat=287&page=1
Sorry your having such trouble. Sometimes **** just does not go together.

Update.......Anyother guy (not the new guy I guess I was talking to before) form JE got a hold of me and told me that its an older piston. 5+ years older, that why there are no numbers on the bottom. Then he urged me to buy a new piston because the shelf life isn't that long....blah blah blah. I proceeded to tell him he was a bad sells men for having me believe that If i buy their products, they'll fall apart after 5 years! Eventually I got him to laugh and get why I want to stick with this piston (price + compression= to cam = me happy)

JasonP....Was this your piston at one time? Just a part or job number off that sheet is what I would need. Was this piston a special order item? They can find a catalog 11:1 for the warrior in there books. If you do have that spec sheet Id love to have it! I don't personally have a fax so email would be my first choice if you could scan it and send it to me ASAP asap please. THANKS!

I as well don't know why they just don't sell me a 85mm ring set that for a yfm350......but I do understand that there just following selling procedure. Say they sell me a ring set and they don't know for sure fits my cam exactly, and my engine falls apart, I could sue right? I think they want to ween that situation out.

Anyways, I'm not too too pissed. I know stuff like this happens. But if I don't make it on my memorial day trip. I WILL BE CRAZY PISSED!

Latest posts

Back