putting top end back together

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deadlastracing said:
Update.......Anyother guy (not the new guy I guess I was talking to before) form JE got a hold of me and told me that its an older piston. 5+ years older, that why there are no numbers on the bottom. Then he urged me to buy a new piston because the shelf life isn't that long....blah blah blah. I proceeded to tell him he was a bad sells men for having me believe that If i buy their products, they'll fall apart after 5 years! Eventually I got him to laugh and get why I want to stick with this piston (price + compression= to cam = me happy)

JasonP....Was this your piston at one time? Just a part or job number off that sheet is what I would need. Was this piston a special order item? They can find a catalog 11:1 for the warrior in there books. If you do have that spec sheet Id love to have it! I don't personally have a fax so email would be my first choice if you could scan it and send it to me ASAP asap please. THANKS!

I as well don't know why they just don't sell me a 85mm ring set that for a yfm350......but I do understand that there just following selling procedure. Say they sell me a ring set and they don't know for sure fits my cam exactly, and my engine falls apart, I could sue right? I think they want to ween that situation out.

Anyways, I'm not too too pissed. I know stuff like this happens. But if I don't make it on my memorial day trip. I WILL BE CRAZY PISSED!

Dude my new style JE 85mm piston doesn't have any numbers either. Just 85mm.
I'm sorry but the guy at JE is an idiot. Just pisses me off to read what you wrote on what the dumb ass said. I can't believe that ****.
Call Mickey Dunlap and ask him if he can provide you with either a number or a ring kit for a older style JE 11:1 compression 85mm piston that he sold. If he doesn't have the kit at least try and get a number for the piston or ring kit number so you can order it through JE or a JE dealer. He should know.
Nope was not ever my piston. I don't know anything about the older design other then what Dave has said.
Rings don't care what cam you have the engine. What they do care about is the hone in the cylinder so they seal. Also how there timed or ring end gaps are positioned on the piston in the bore. How much ring end gap you have. Then how much piston to cylinder wall clearance.
I can send you the spec sheet so at least you can get an idea how to time the rings and all the other **** you should check for so your engine doesn't blow up and last a long time. The numbers and spec's of the piston might be a little different.
Send me your e-mail. [email protected]

BTW: are you sure that the cylinder got bored out to the right size piston? Like you actually gave the piston to the machine shop so they could measure it and everything? Have you checked it?
Just want to make sure. Doesn't make any sense why Dave would send that big of a ring to you not unless it was a mix up.

Email sent.

I know the piston compression to the cam makes no difference at all but I was trying to say, having the JE 11:1 paired with the poweroll.430 cam is the set up I'm after.

Yeah, the piston is an 85mm and the Jug is board to match exactly. Even when I put the rings on the piston and used the compression sleeve to install the rings stick out way to far off the piston walls. The rings were to big! I'm sure it was just a mix up, Dave seems like has has a lot of parts laying around.

I'm taking the piston to the guy who did my head work. I called him last night to see if he had a set laying around and he does. I'm gunna go down there during lunch and get it all taken care of.........finish of install continues tonight!

Ok, Another update..........piston is a 84.5. We triple checked it. So, did some searching and Wiseco does make a 84.5 ring set for a .20 over bore on a XR350. Rings ordered so now....Fingers crossed.....i will finally get my rebuild done.

Also got the jug honed while I was there.....it was pretty good but a little outta in the lower half. Now its bout as perfect as can be. The engine dude did that for free.

Now, since I ordered my gasket set for an 85mm bored head......will it thow anything outta wack? How much compression will I loose if any, because the gaskets I have are .5mm larger then my current bore?

New CC number, 360? I'm roughing 30HP with all my mods when I done, that about right?

deadlastracing said:
Ok, Another update..........piston is a 84.5. We triple checked it. So, did some searching and Wiseco does make a 84.5 ring set for a .20 over bore on a XR350. Rings ordered so now....Fingers crossed.....i will finally get my rebuild done.

Also got the jug honed while I was there.....it was pretty good but a little outta in the lower half. Now its bout as perfect as can be. The engine dude did that for free.

Now, since I ordered my gasket set for an 85mm bored head......will it thow anything outta wack? How much compression will I loose if any, because the gaskets I have are .5mm larger then my current bore?

New CC number, 360? I'm roughing 30HP with all my mods when I done, that about right?

Checked at the skirt?
A .020" overbore is .5 mm more. So 83.5mm I don't think that will work. I don't know that Wiseco and JE use the same rings. I think that might be a problem.
Headgasket will be fine. The bore has to be larger then the piston so my guess it is around 85mm bore.

I was there in the shop when all this was checked. Ive become quite the customer/friend to the guy who owns the local shop and hes been pretty cool about the whole build and all my little set backs. I brought my piston and jug in just in case as I wanted to get a new set of rings. Opened the box of new 85mm rings and there once again were to big. We checked the piston on one of those digital size measures and sure enough, 84.5. Checked the jug and that was set up to match the piston (slighlty bigger to alloy for ring gap and what have you. He did some quick long division and re-honed the jug for a better fit to the piston.

I know the new rings will fit because we tested the XC rings. Rings come in various thicknesses...XX, XC ect.

I'm guessing the piston was a custom order? Hopefully that what it is! I looked at the valve cuts on the head and they appear to match the valve setup on the head.

deadlastracing said:
I was there in the shop when all this was checked. Ive become quite the customer/friend to the guy who owns the local shop and hes been pretty cool about the whole build and all my little set backs. I brought my piston and jug in just in case as I wanted to get a new set of rings. Opened the box of new 85mm rings and there once again were to big. We checked the piston on one of those digital size measures and sure enough, 84.5. Checked the jug and that was set up to match the piston (slighlty bigger to alloy for ring gap and what have you. He did some quick long division and re-honed the jug for a better fit to the piston.

I know the new rings will fit because we tested the XC rings. Rings come in various thicknesses...XX, XC ect.

I'm guessing the piston was a custom order? Hopefully that what it is! I looked at the valve cuts on the head and they appear to match the valve setup on the head.

Again I would call Mickey if I had Questions about the piston or needing a correct rings as I'm sure he knows.Phone (814)842-6159
I'm suprised he didn't just cut the 85mm rings down to get the correct gap.
I don't understand xx,xc..
I do know that there are so many different types of rings and how they many different designs that I know I would want to try and stick with the Manufacture. Just my opinion.
I wish you the best of luck!

Ill give him a call just to see if I can get anymore info, just in case. I suggested to cut down the 85 rings, but my engine dude (Rick) said it wouldn't be worth it. New rings are around $22 and a made to be exact.

From what I can understand, the ring thickness is labeled by two numbers. All pistons made by every company have a ring thickness that fall into one of the many sizes. XC, XX, GK, GFX, KC, HF, XH ect. (Notice some of the end letters on this site http://www.raceeng.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=cyl) XC and XX being the most common. Like the ring set I ordered is 3327XC....that XC is the lettering for the ring thickness.

I had to pull the head off to replace the valve seals and i ordered a new gasket kit and im installing them. My question is do i need new piston rings now or no?? I hope not i mean theres not even a half hour on the motor.

Back