Problem riding yesterday!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
indexing is when you screw the plug in so the open side of the electrode is aimed at the exhaust valve when tightened all the way

Usually, but we always shoot for up away from the piston to be sure piston won't hit it. When you are shooting for compression sometimes things get a little tight.

And I don't know when back in the day was, because we still do it on all our race engines.

Last edited:
I ment back when my dad was building drag cars in the 70's and early 80's. I just don't see it done much in my neck of the woods. Used to be a whole lot of theories back then about how to make more power. For instance, my dad had worked with a guy that swore by twisting the coil wire and putting loops in it, it would create a stronger spark. I get, and would index it myself, when building high compression engines or when a head has been decked a lot to true it.

Last edited:
Not a lot of people around here do it either. The boss man and my co-worker race and it is SOP for them. On customer race engines we do it as well if we are assembling it complete and ready to run.

You don't want to use more than the thickest washer (.060 I think) because it will cause too many threads to be exposed and can create hot spots.

That and I would think that it would pull the electrodes a little too far into the hole and cause some power loss or possible missfire from spark jumping.

Back