Problem riding yesterday!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysisk13

Reaction score
So i rode for about 3 hours yesterday and about an hour into the ride it started cutting out then went back to the truck and the sparkplug gap was way off, so set it to .026 and took off again, and ran like a raped ape, never missed a beat! But then an hour after that is started cutting out real bad again 1/4 to full throttle!??

i checked my gap and that was it! it was alot closer to the electrode then it was when i put it in so i regaped it and it ran perfect! I rode it for an hour again today and it happened again?? any ideas??

Are you using the right spark plug part number? The gap shouldn't close up under normal running and riding. The only thing that would close it would be contact with the piston. If that is happening, you may be headed for other trouble.

well i was afraid of that. It runs amazing for about an hour then i have to regap. I will try another plug next weekend and test it out

take a pic of the plug and post it is there any marks on the electrode?
from piston hitting it

NGK D8EA correct, hey cody check my assorted thread, 1 of ur ideas i think! and guys i agree its caused by contact, but wouldnt that happen immediatly like after first stroke??? i dunno what else would cuase it but it seems an hour is a long time......overheated in cylinder and electrode gets weak??? dunno

i run D8EA as my book says,reading as i type. also says or ND X24ES-U, what would the R mean?

i will take a pic of it next weekend, or this week if i have time. and that is what i thinking about the first stroke and all, it doesnt make any sense. Im pretty sure i noticed a teeny tiny strand of black gunk going from the electrode to the the part where the spark jumps from to get to the electrode

NGK D8EA correct, hey cody check my assorted thread, 1 of ur ideas i think! and guys i agree its caused by contact, but wouldnt that happen immediatly like after first stroke??? i dunno what else would cuase it but it seems an hour is a long time......overheated in cylinder and electrode gets weak??? dunno

If something is close on clearance with the piston, it could change after riding because of the way the aluminum expands with heat. Seems odd, though because the clearance would most likely open up rather than get tighter.

Maybe try to index the plug. You may have to buy several or get some indexing washers to do it. Take a sharpie and mark on the outside where the electrode is. Screw the plug in so the electrode is up opposite the piston.

Does the engine make any kind of noise? I did see one recently where the pin bore of the rod was totally worn oblong and let the piston rock every which way. I don't know if it was smashing plugs because it had other issues when taken apart.

I use the Iridium plug DR8IEX in mine but the spacing is the same as stock.

"Maybe try to index the plug. You may have to buy several or get some indexing washers to do it. Take a sharpie and mark on the outside where the electrode is. Screw the plug in so the electrode is up opposite the piston"

Im not quite following you midway??

and im pretty sure it is a dr8ea unless the person at autozone gave me the wrong one.

indexing is when you screw the plug in so the open side of the electrode is aimed at the exhaust valve when tightened all the way

Last edited:
Just do a google search and it'll pull up pics of what he is talking about. Guys used to do it a lot back in the day. Some still swear by it.

"Maybe try to index the plug. You may have to buy several or get some indexing washers to do it. Take a sharpie and mark on the outside where the electrode is. Screw the plug in so the electrode is up opposite the piston"

Im not quite following you midway??

and im pretty sure it is a dr8ea unless the person at autozone gave me the wrong one.

On race engines we index the plug especially if clearances are close. It is also supposed to help in that it directs the gap of the plug toward the piston to help direct the flame front. Not sure it matters as far as that, but definitely keeps the piston from bumping the electrode. The electrode to thread orientation is not the same from plug to plug so if you try several you can usually find one that lines up. They make copper index washers of different thickness to.

Shoot for the electrode to point the same as in the pic when fully tightened.

warrior_plug_index.jpg

Last edited:
Back