Over heatting

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridaredneck

Reaction score
Well ive got a 350 raptor and its been over heatin when ever i got for a good ride (6hrs in 100+ weather) its fine for the first 4-5 hours but after that if im doing wheelies or just playin aroud ( climbin sand hills) it will over heat. I have castrol sythenthetic blend 5w 40 in it. Is that the right oil to run or should i look get a nother type of oil?

Or where can i get a fan that will mount up to it? Any other ways to get keep it cool? How hard will it be to put a oil cooler in it?

Thanks for the help

The Big Bear oil cooler setup seems pretty simple, read up about it in the tutorials section. For oil I would recommend Amsoil, everybody here uses it and says it's the best. But don't switch now, do that on your next oil change if you want to.

I change the oil every ride so ill change it next ride. Thanks i will read up on the Big Bear oil cooler.

i run repsol but i did the oil cooler mod and the motor is noticebly cooler and running a synthetic istead of that yamalube ****, i can stretch the oil for a few more rides. I did the drill and tap method of putting in the cooler, the big bear method works too and is still ireversible. If you have any questions on the drilling/tapping method let me know.

What's the risk of screwing something up with the drill/tap method? I want to eventually run an oil cooler when I mod my engine, but I want a direct shifter so the big bear setup won't work.

Do you drill into the crankcase cover on the right side? (The side with the dipstick)

Jeez every ride is excessive I think, enough amsoil oil here would cost around $45 with half a liter left over for next time, that must get expensive quickly.

No i ride for about 6-7hrs when i ride. There hard rides to. Normally when i change it the oil is brown anyways.

I looked at the oil cooler but the pics didn't work. Could some one send me a email with the pics of your set up and a lil right up on how you did it.

[email protected]

i run repsol but i did the oil cooler mod and the motor is noticebly cooler and running a synthetic istead of that yamalube ****, i can stretch the oil for a few more rides. I did the drill and tap method of putting in the cooler, the big bear method works too and is still ireversible. If you have any questions on the drilling/tapping method let me know.

You should read on the back of the yamalube bottle.

The pics didnt work for me on the cooler post. With the big bear one do you just get a big bear oil cap ( where the filter goes) and bolt that in and it all ready has the spots for the lines. Or do you have to drill you oil cap and drill/tap that out then run the lines up?

Has anyone ran duel oil coolers, ive been thinkin about doing duel just to make it run real cooled or would that just be a waste?

The big bear setup just needs the oil filter cap which has the holes drilled. All you have to do is install it and connect the rad. There's another method of drilling and tapping the side of the case, apparently it works better.

Sweet, so all i need is a big bear filter cap, some lines and a oil cooler? What year big bear oil filler cap fits on it?

The big bear setup just needs the oil filter cap which has the holes drilled. All you have to do is install it and connect the rad. There's another method of drilling and tapping the side of the case, apparently it works better.

You need more then just the cap.
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx Under Oil pump.
You need numbers.
then some metric straight pipe ends to connect the hoses to the cover. Also need a oil cooler of some sort.
I like this way because it's factory. That's really the only advantage to it other then it's just cooling all the oil and the crank bearing is still getting the hottest oil, which is the highest wear item on the engine. Also I have not found a direct shifter that will work with this setup. With the clutch cover method usally cheaper to do and cools oil that is going to the crank.

[quote:p3z0tob9]The big bear setup just needs the oil filter cap which has the holes drilled. All you have to do is install it and connect the rad. There's another method of drilling and tapping the side of the case, apparently it works better.

You need more then just the cap.
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx Under Oil pump.
You need numbers.
then some metric straight pipe ends to connect the hoses to the cover. Also need a oil cooler of some sort.
I like this way because it's factory. That's really the only advantage to it other then it's just cooling all the oil and the crank bearing is still getting the hottest oil, which is the highest wear item on the engine. Also I have not found a direct shifter that will work with this setup. With the clutch cover method usally cheaper to do and cools oil that is going to the crank. [/quote:p3z0tob9]

Thanks for the clarification. How dangerous and hard is it to do the clutch cover method?

Personally after seeing it done to a couple of machines I think the level of doing this is higher because you have to measure then drill and tap holes in the cover, you have to be aware that if you f up that you will drill through the side cover and miss the oil cavity. Then plug the oil cavity between what you drilled and tapped with either epoxy or a plug of some sort, which you could drill and tap a hole for that to and just put like a brass allen head plug or something in there. If you feel confent with that then get her done. A lot of people think to that if the expoy comes loose or if you don't plug the hole right someing will get fucked up. The only thing that can happen is that oil will not flow to the oil cooler and just will go to the crank bearing instead. Nothing to dangerous about it.

Thanks jason, umm the link you posted didn't work. Could you post the part numbers for everything i need from yamaha? Also where do ya'll get your oil cooler, could you post a link to a websight to where i can get a oil cooler.

Thanks.

okay I CAN NOT see the pics in the link posted. Can you save those images and send them to [email protected].

Sorry about all the trouble just dont want to start it and mess up.

I can't see the pictures either dude. You'll have to look under a parts diagram which I posted in this thread.

Thanks for the link, looks a bit scary though. I wouldn't want to **** up the whole cover because I suck at drilling metal.

Back