Old vs new

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black557

Reaction score
Has anyone ridden side by side with an older and newer model wolverine. I know there's lots of stat comparisons and assumptions, but how do they really stack up against eachother? I've noticed alot of the older model owners turning their noses up at the 450 and I think there's a little favortism going on. I'm not saying anything bad about either, I don't really know anything about the older models, and I'm feeling out my 450 right now. I know it might be sacriledge but I was always a Honda guy until the last couple of years, so I haven't kept up with Yamaha before now. Just thought this would make for an interesting thread, peace!

Honestly, I have wondered the same thing.

You're right, there sure are a lot of folks bashing the new 450. Interestingly, it sounds like an awful lot of the bashing is being done without even riding the 450.

I think there were several guys on here that have both.

Frostbite

Frostbite from TY ????

Frostbite said:
Honestly, I have wondered the same thing.

You're right, there sure are a lot of folks bashing the new 450. Interestingly, it sounds like an awful lot of the bashing is being done without even riding the 450.

I think there were several guys on here that have both.

Frostbite

YUP! I'm the same Frostbite as on Totallyamaha. I'm finding the ATV forums don't seem to have nearly as many posts as the snowmobile forums. I'm curious why that is?

Frostbite

Frostbite said:
YUP! I'm the same Frostbite as on Totallyamaha. I'm finding the ATV forums don't seem to have nearly as many posts as the snowmobile forums. I'm curious why that is?

Frostbite

I hear ya. You can never match TY for info & help. It will be Apex time soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vice108, I have to put my RX-1 back together. I went to a Camo Extreme for next year. It's a 162 x 16 x 2.5". I bet it makes a huge difference.

For ATVs????? I just put on my front and rear CMP front and rear racks. The front one is about perfect the rear is too small. I called CMP and they very very nice (Justin) he said they will be redesigning the rear rack now.
Now I just need a pipe (HMF quiet core or GYT) and my ATV will be about done performance wise.

The 450 is SO COOL! Especially with racks with gun/bow holders. I'm sure some peoples head will turn when they see it.

Frostbite

When you guys talk about people not liking the new Wolverine...where is this taking place? I've said it before, I don't really see it here. Are people griping on other forums?

That's a BIG track!!!

I would like a pipe for my Wolverine also, but I don't want anything too loud. Does the HMF still offer improvents over stock if you add the quiet core?

Frostbite said:
Vice108, I have to put my RX-1 back together. I went to a Camo Extreme for next year. It's a 162 x 16 x 2.5". I bet it makes a huge difference.

For ATVs????? I just put on my front and rear CMP front and rear racks. The front one is about perfect the rear is too small. I called CMP and they very very nice (Justin) he said they will be redesigning the rear rack now.
Now I just need a pipe (HMF quiet core or GYT) and my ATV will be about done performance wise.

The 450 is SO COOL! Especially with racks with gun/bow holders. I'm sure some peoples head will turn when they see it.

Frostbite

i can answer that one. yes, it does still improve your power, but man, i can't lie to you. It's still gonna be loud. Especially if you get the inside wet. It's a great pipe, but if you're wanting something for like hunting or such, this just isn't the pipe for you. Just my opinion.

Thats a big help - thank you.

Are there any pipes that offer power improvments that aren't obnoxious?

Mark21 said:
i can answer that one. yes, it does still improve your power, but man, i can't lie to you. It's still gonna be loud. Especially if you get the inside wet. It's a great pipe, but if you're wanting something for like hunting or such, this just isn't the pipe for you. Just my opinion.

well... I can't say for sure if they make one for this bike, but I know that Cobra has been known for making some pretty quiet sounding exhausts, but still with good power. I would just do some research and call and just ask the companies what the sound levels are. I'm sure most of them would be glad to help.

Frostbite said:

Frostbite

The rear rack is being redesigned by CMP? Did they say when it might be done? How did you order your racks, did you go through CMP or someone else? Price range? I want racks but I definitely need something bigger that the CMP or GYTR rear rack.

Well the GYTR is definetly louder when you get on the gas hard or let off from full throttle, but just putting around it is not a whole lot louder, There is a sound byte of the GYTR pipe and the HMF pipe as well as the stock pipe on youtube.com. I just ordered the cmp front and rear rack and with shipping and cod fee I am paying 172.00 I think.

I really want to buy a pipe right now but I'm still not entirely sure which one to buy either. Like you guys, I want a performance gain without being obnoxious for hunting. I have a Staintune on my BMW with three different baffles so I can go from mellow to obnoxious. My TTR has a Big Gun pipe with three different baffle set ups as well. I'm thinking if the HMF has a quiet core insert it could surely be modified if the sound level wasn't exactly what you want.

I spoke to Justin at CMP @ 763-689-6270 (what a great guy). He told me they were thinking the same thing about the rear rack being to small. I suggested to them moving it 4 1/2 forward in the mount and to make it 36" wide (not the current 29") wide.
Avon cycle @ 585-294-5045 bought up every Wolverine 450 rack that CMP made. The racks are $89 each if you get them without competition on E bay through Avon cycle or $99 each if you order directly from Avon cycle.
The front rack is sized just about perfectly (In my Opinion).

Frostbite

Black557 said:
Has anyone ridden side by side with an older and newer model wolverine.

I own both. An '00 350 and an '06 450.

Short of it.. The 450 is garbage.. Sorry to say it, I race the 4x4 lites class in Atlantic Grand Prix, and some GNCC's, and I've just been replacing parts on the 450 left and right (3 tie rods, 3 a-arms, wheel bearings, 2 steering stems, and just recently cracked the swingarm in 2 places).. The 450's parts are substandard, cheap, but substandard.

7 years with the 350, and only replaced a battery, and only this year did I crack the frame (well, 7 years of use, some rust, its bound to happen)..

I'm so strongly opinionated on this, I'm selling the 450 after the season, taking the money from that and investing in a head kit, pipe, jets, larger oil cooler and better suspension for the 350 to race next year. If only I could find the FST 500 kit they used to make for this beast. I firmly believe the 350 is / was sturdier, stronger, and sometimes a faster machine (yes, it is, if you know your gearing, the manual shift tranny is faster than the CVT, I turn faster laps on the 350 for sure). I've raced both, usually the 350 when I'm waiting for parts for the 450. The 350 at Unadilla just blew me away. The 450, well, with an HMF / dynojet / K&N is nice, but only in the upper half of the rpm's and only when you get moving. An EPI clutch is a must for increasing your starts.. The HMF is obnoxious too, 102db without the quietcore..

Having owned both, and the '06 for a year and a half now, (both new from the showroom too), I still don't know why they changed the old 350, which was a proven design and built to last..

:roll:

Latest posts

Back