Oil drain plug/oil leaking problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be a difference in where we live. Any shop I've ever worked in or around, if you asked for a ratchet, you got a ratchet, no one mistook it to mean a ratchet wrench, a ratchet strap, or an air wrench. The only one we call simply "ratchet" is the one you refer to as a socket wrench. The first thing I thought of when I read that was the sockets made to use with ratchet wrenches. Like these: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0829753735.1134754780@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdiaddghjmhmkkcegecegjdghldfom.0&pid=00942800000&vertical=TOOL&cs=e2&ihtoken=1

I'm not being a smartass, man, I'd just never heard of em being called that. So do ya'll call ratchet straps and stuff just "ratchets"?

The link doesn't work, but here is what I was thinking of:
00942075000.jpg

It's a socket made for use with a wrench.

Must be a difference in where we live. Any shop I've ever worked in or around, if you asked for a ratchet, you got a ratchet, no one mistook it to mean a ratchet wrench, a ratchet strap, or an air wrench. The only one we call simply "ratchet" is the one you refer to as a socket wrench. The first thing I thought of when I read that was the sockets made to use with ratchet wrenches. Like these: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0829753735.1134754780@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdiaddghjmhmkkcegecegjdghldfom.0&pid=00942800000&vertical=TOOL&cs=e2&ihtoken=1

I'm not being a smartass, man, I'd just never heard of em being called that. So do ya'll call ratchet straps and stuff just "ratchets"?

Naw we don’t call the straps just ratchets but if u were to ask for a ratchet in a shop here the douche with the tools would be like... lol because we call "ratchets" socket wrenches and the other wrenches ratchet wrenches.

lol...gotcha...I noticed when I was looking for that pic of the socket that some socket sets said socket wrench, I'd never paid it any attention before. The one I posted is called a "wrench socket".

I'd like to have a set of those sockets. Looks like they'd be great in real tight spots where a conventional socket wouldn't go. You have to buy a set of ratchet wrenches first though...lol Which I already have ratchet wrenches.

i wasnt using i 12 point socket.. i was using a 6 point. 19mm i beleve. it was just my dad tighten that down wicked tight last time it had a oil change( he wanted to do it dont know why) and i couldnt quite get under the quad.. and i didnt have the socket on all the way and it striped out the head.. not the threads...

[quote:6lat7yl2]nope dont know how to use a ******* socket wrench btw wht the **** is a socket wrench????dont think ive ever hard of one of those....... ******* tard

It’s another name for a "ratchet" and is a noun.

You have your socket, and your "socket wrench"...

Do you color in the lines xking, or were you one of those people who didn’t heed their existence until much later?

Socket Wrench:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=socket%20wrench

Ratchet:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=ratchet

What definition defines the tool more clearly? In our shop we say socket wrench do to their being other things that can be considered "ratchets". The term "ratchet" describes a general mechanism and doesn’t define particularly one type of tool.

EX: ratchet wrenches (not a socket wrench an actual wrench), straps, etc...

When you say hand me that "ratchet" it could mean:

CT%205%20piece%20Ratchet%20Box%20Wrench%20Kit.jpg

wrench%20-%20ratchet%20w%20deep%20socket.jpg

DA72500-ratchet-wrench.gif

110457_lg.gif

B0000AX247.01-A1787XOD7Q2I4M._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and on and on and on...

Don’t forget in a shop ALL the tools are laid out nice and neat in one section; when you point in the general area and ask for a "ratchet", you will have to elaborate further on what you want vs. asking for a "socket wrench".

n00b...[/quote:6lat7yl2]
the **** are you talking about? i didnt say anything about a ratchet.....

What were you turning the socket with?

I misread what you wrote anyway, I thought you said the threads were messed up instead of the head...lol Looks like your Dad is off the hook!

Back