New quad

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrioracer08

Reaction score
I'm getting a new quad in a couple of months and need your opinions on what I should get. I'm getting a new quad right from the dealer though to and money isn't going to be an issue. I weigh a whopping 133 pounds and I'm 5'6'. I've been looking at the Raptor 350,Z400 or a 400ex. I still have a couple of months before I get but i wanna know what quad would fit me well and is easy to work on to and find parts for. Thanks

A lot depends on your riding experience. If you are starting out, you might wanna go with a Rappy 350. You get great reliability and a sportier ride than the Warrior (they changed the seating position a little). There's lots of aftermarket parts available and the 350 motor is proven to be strong and withstand a good beating.

From what I have heard the 400ex is great too, but it does have a lighter front end and stands up a little easier. Might be a little more to control if you don't have a lot of experience. On the other hand, I know very little about the Z400, there's a few people that have them on here and seem to be happy, but I'll let them speak about those.

You did mention that money wasn't an issue, but if it were you could also look at various Warriors. They are nearly the same thing as the Rappy 350, with a few things changed, but you could spend the extra money on quick upgrades.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. I've been riding for about 3 years now, but this is gonna be my frist good quad so I want it to last. I like warriors, I just don't like that they stopped making them or else that'd be my first choice(i think). But the quad I've been riding is my friends 660 Raptor all stock. More feedback would be great guys.

I wouldn't say that they stopped making the Warrior. If you compare the specs they are basically the exact same bike, the difference is that they updated the plastics, moved the foot pegs (for a sportier ride) and removed some weight. I believe they updated the shocks a little too. Otherwise, everything is the same.

Check out the specifications on the site:
http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=quadrelated&action=display&thread=1110424708

Any other comments people??

. I like warriors, I just don't like that they stopped making them or else that'd be my first choice(i think).

So you like These old Mercs with some work done to it less than the newer stock one they still make, like the one under it?
Merc.jpg

Merc2.jpg

You like those 2 Mod'ed ones Less than the Stock one they still make below?
Newmerc.jpg

So then it should be safe to say that instead of owning a Warrior with some mods, you'd want a newer quad with Much less done to it for the same amount of dough, if not spending more on the newer stock one?
~Bill
(by the way, I have no clue who that Colonel Sanders lookin guy is)

At 133 lbs/5'6'' I would think that the 350 would have more than enough power for you. Pdx mentioned the 400ex having a lighter front end, and wheely'ing easier. But on a down side to that it also makes the front end lift easier especially on hills. My friend has a 400ex, and I'd prefer to have my Warrior over his 400. Mine doesn't have much done to it, and his only has a slip on, and k&n performance wise, but I can still beat him most of the time up until low to mid 6th. Ohh and I'm around 210-215 lbs. I think the rappy should have more than enough push for you.
~Bill

Thanks for the help guys. As I said up there before, I've been driving my friends 660 Raptor and I handle that pretty good so I can handle a lot of power. My only problem with quads that have a lot of power is since I'm smaller I get tossed around pretty easily over big bumps. But other than that I'm fine.

Thanks for the help guys. As I said up there before, I've been driving my friends 660 Raptor and I handle that pretty good so I can handle a lot of power. My only problem with quads that have a lot of power is since I'm smaller I get tossed around pretty easily over big bumps. But other than that I'm fine.

if ure rippin around a 660 fine then u should deff get the z400, I think you will outgrow the power in the 350 pretty qucik. There pretty light to so I dont think you will be thrown off easily

Well it seems that over the big bumps your not riding the quad, but it's driving you around. It's not supposed to be like that, and that's how you can end up getting into some deep trouble. If your on a quad that's too much for you and you end up in some hairy **** you don't want to be hanging on for dear life. That and if anything should happen, the 350 is lighter than the 660, and with you not being that big, I'd want the lighter one to push off of me.

You said you can handle it, but then you get pushed around on bigger bumps, that's not that good man. get something that suits your size, riding style, and safety. It's much more fun when you can ride something without having to be afraid of being tossed off of it, and it throwing you around when push comes to shove.
~Bill

I'd have to say at this point that I agree with Bill on this issue. Sure you can handle the 660, but when push comes to shove that thing is gonna win. I don't know what the weight differences are between the z400 and the Rappy/Warrior but you might want to check on that.

Another thing to consider to is that if you are afraid of outgrowing a 350, go with a newer Warrior. That way you can save some money, enjoy riding for a while and when you know you're comfortable with it you can start dumping money into engine/body and other mods for it.

Then when you get a bit bigger and can throw a built Warrior around with no problems you should be able to get some money out of it and upgrade then. It's better to be safe than sorry.

i would suggest the warrior/rappy 350....they will last alot longer, you have 6 gears, and since bolth you and me weigh about the same i think the warrior/rappy will be a perfect choice.....you will be doing trail riding so... you will want reverse (warrior/rappy) and somewhat normal size tires (400/warrior/rappy)....i dont really like the power of the 400ex because it is really tourquey and the front end is insanely light (i almost flipped coreys over on my head)

also, if you have problems with the warrior/rappy you have me and my dad right down the road, and we could sell you parts too sence were always buying new ones

I love how light the 400ex is. I feel as if I could bunny hop that bastard....

lol pelphrey. Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess it's down to a warrior or a rappy now from what you say and stuff. What one do you think is easier to work on though, cause I've done my stuff myself and learn on my own so a macjine that's easier to work on would be better. But I also got Justin to help me too. What one has more torque though cause I wanna start wheelieing. I can do it on my friends 660 if I have one foot on the rear bar and a leg on the seat.

The warrior and raptor 350 are mostly the same machine. The biggest differences are the plastics obviously, and there were a few small tweaks to the rappy to make it more comfortable for aggressive riding, mostly relocated foot pegs, seat, and handlebar geometry. Mostly it depends on which one you think looks better, and what your budget is. You'll be able to get a warrior for about $1000 cheaper than a rappy on average, and there's a lot more warriors out there for the pickings because they were in production for 17 years, the rappy 350 has only been in production for 3 years.

ok thanks. I don't have a budget. If I get the rappy then I'm gonna do a $40 a month deal they have going on. I'm gonna be making $120 a month so I'll have money left over to put parts into it. But no, money is not going ot be an issue.

I have a warrior, Get a 400ex or a z400, THey handle a million times better. Dont get me wrong the warrior is a great quad, and with thousands of dollars dumped into it i can now hang with the big boys, But i cant handle like them, If i were you i would buy a 400ex

I do a decent amount of hill climbing now though because parts of my woods is getting chopped down ofr farm land and the main trail now leads right towards hil that are fairly steep and since the honda is front end light, I don't want ot flip it on top of me so maybr the Z then, nobodies said anything bout it though.

Z's are great, ride like a modded 350, front end on em is not as light as the 400ex but wheelies nice when ya want it too

Back