New project "Barn Bird!! has begun

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Weston, progress has slowed. But alot of the work has been fab and wiring repair/improvement. And we both know that isnt something you rush or you will be doing it again later!!

Yeah man I hate that ****. I really lucked out with the two pieces I got for my Javelin a week and a half ago. I'm REALLY wanting a RAM AIR hood for the old gal. But, those are super hard to find, and you will spend every bit of 1500 for one in fair condition.

Yeah man I hate that ****. I really lucked out with the two pieces I got for my Javelin a week and a half ago. I'm REALLY wanting a RAM AIR hood for the old gal. But, those are super hard to find, and you will spend every bit of 1500 for one in fair condition.

Im not minding the wiring repair/improvement to much. Its even nicer when the harness is small enough I can bring it home and do it while relaxing watching a movie!!

Oh I know how that is!! Im in the same boat on some pieces Ive been offered. Got a guy in PA that offered me about 80% of an original dealer installed body kit. Only missing one key piece... The front valance piece!! One of the hardest pieces to find not destroyed!! Problem 2 would be getting it from PA to WI! Ive got some feelers out for the front piece but no hits yet. The body kits they put on these just really set off what was already a good looking car!! Ive got so many irons in the fire on this car its unbelievable!!

The sad part is for the original number of the Tbirds TC's that were produced they seem to be headed the way of the AMC lines. Hard to find parts and when they do they fetch a premium.

Last edited:
Dude I feel ya! There are some really noice factory body kits that just make a car pop. If you look at my Javelin in base trim, she's good lookin'. But, get that Ram Air hood, Mark Donohue wing on the trunk, and the front spoiler... Man, buddy, it's just plain old bitchin!

Only pic Ive got of recent stuff is the dash finally put back together. Still need to buy a dash cap to make it look all pretty agian. Pulled the motor back out as stuff that needed mocked up with it in the car is done. Now its time to replace leaky gaskets, timing belt, and anything else I find that 25 years hasnt been kind to. Also started cleaning up the axle and putting fresh paint on. Decided that Im pulling the A/C out as I never would use it anyways and I could use the weight loss on the car. Egr system and evap system are officially gone or bypassed. EGT probe is going to where the EGR pipe was in the exhaust manifold which is the perfect place since its been found that gasses out of 3 & 4 are usually the hottest.
Working on getting rid of the system sentry, for those of you that dont know what that is, its a panel in the center that has lights for low fuel, door ajar, ect.. Then I will move the cubby pocket down and put some more gauges where it was, water temp, oil pressure, voltage, on top of the pillar that will have boost and EGT gauges.

Also contemplating a 5 lug swap, mainly for the more plentiful wheel selection. Found out theres a set of mustang bullitt wheels at work that sparked the whole though. And thru various research that I have a yard locally that I pull about 80% of the parts to do the swap!!

A little of all over the place on the car today, but my son was helping me!! A/C is officially gone, but I saved as much as I could of it incase someone ends up needing pieces. Found a plug for the EGR port in the manifold that had 1/8"npt already in it, so now theres a place for my EGT probe!! Under hood wires, hoses ran for the boost gauge and EGT gauge. Also slid the gauges into the mod and verified the length I left to hook to them up, still need to run lighting wires(both) and power wires(egt gauge).

And my sons part of the work today, was actually getting the drivers seat in(I had to lift it in place) and both tightened down. I must say he did a good job doing so, just needed a little help moving the seats around. Not to shabby for 9!! Need to re-vacuum though now!!!

The last month has been crazy, but Ive found some time to do some work on the car. Found a few bad things, but even more good things!

Got the front mount, mounts made and it positioned in place. Itll have to come back out soon, as the body work has started. Also figured out how Im gonna be doing a true cold air.

One of the bad things though, decided to figure out why the fuel pump wasnt kicking in. Well as I was dropping the tank the reason became brutally obvious.Though Ive already got another non rusted tank tracked down.

Body work has started even though it doesnt need much, Im mainly prepping it for some fresh paint in the spring. Same color, may toss in a bit more metallic but I dont want to take the car to far from what it began. Most of my time has been spent getting the flaking clear off and prepping the rest for some primer/guide coat. So far only a couple inperfections have been found and they were simple fixs!!

Also finally got the original finish off of the valve cover as it had already started to come off. Now I just need to decide where Im gonna go with it.

Finally had a break in the freezing temps enough to get out and do somethings. Block sanded everything that was already primed and what wasnt primed yet has been sanded and primed. Need to decide if Im going to keep the belt trim in the middle or eliminate it. Also contemplating Painting the belt trim body color especially if I eliminate the middle pieces. Its a good thing I got an extra hood with the car to as both had opposite scoops damaged on the mounts, so Ive pulled the 2 good ones and will be prepping them for the repaint next. Now for pics!!!

Yep, for me as long as its warm enough to be out in the shed with a hoody, its warm enough to prime and let setup for a week atleast. I need to get some aluminum work done on my intakes, you wouldnt be game for some aluminum welding would you!!!

Both updates just copied from the Tbird site Im on and all from this weekend!!

Didnt get a whole lot done tonight, but I did get the rest of the primed areas blocked and have 2 small dents on the passenger door I have to work. Other wise from the belt trim up is ready to go. I have officially decided the trim between the wheel wells is not going back on, also playing with the idea of the rest of the belt trim going body color. The dark blue I think would look really good with the belt trim matched!! Also got the belt trim off from between the wheel wells off, some heat, patience and it pretty much came right off. Just have to get whats left of the adhesive off and get the lower areas prepped

Also the wife was going thru some boxes that we have had stored out at her dads and came across my "Thunderbird bibles". I actually didnt think I still had them I hadnt seen them in so long. My Haynes and Chiltons repair manuals are what kept all the previous Birds going. No I just wanna get an original copy of the 1988 thunderbird EVTM.

Oh adhesive fun did I have today, took most of the time I was out there just to get the old tape off. That was even with a heat gun!! Got the center section sanded and primed on both sides. So other than blocking and smoothing some things, and the rest of the fornt and back Im just about done prepping for some fresh paint!! Ive got some trim to get removed and some other odds and ends. Soon my concentration can shift to the drivetrain, one step at a time!

Hey if you ever want some help with that bird let me know.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk

I re did a subaru svx last year then ended up selling it at the end of summer it was fun. Kinda miss it now lol

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk

Other that the bumper covers, the cars prepped for paint!! Body is officially straight, nick, scratch(deep) free. Got a mint package tray cover from texas area and some plain jane sun visors, all from a low miles car that apparently befor meeting its end in the JY had always been garaged. I swear if I have to Ill drive the car in primer!!! LOL

making some progress I see Tony
looking good man!
can't wait to see it finished

Thanks Ed, weather, time, and a bunch of other things really slowed my progress on it though. By now the plan was to have the motor and a trans in, running and just having to finish some of the smaller things. It looks like it may be later in the year before she's ready to hit up a show or 2

better to take the time and get everything right the first time winter isn't leaving anytime soon here anyway lol 6-12" wed night through friday aaaahhhhhh!!!

Back