New project "Barn Bird!! has begun

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1998yamahawarrior

Reaction score
As of tomorrow I will no longer own my red Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, I had to put it up for sale for the chance I had for a Barn Find Turbo Coupe. The entire barn find car is in 10X better shape than my poor red one. Lower miles and needs almost no body work, just new paint and obviously mechanical work. Its been sitting in a barn for 5-10 years untouched until I caught wind of it there!! Ive been over every inch of it and there are a couple spots of surface rust on the underbody, but things like the K member and core support are rust free and still have factory paint on them. My plan is to have a bulk of needed work done by next spring, just in time for the show/cruise season to start back up!!

There snotty cars I had one it was a 87 I loved it. I also had a mustang with a turbo 4 and it was the pace car edition wish I still had that lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

There snotty cars I had one it was a 87 I loved it. I also had a mustang with a turbo 4 and it was the pace car edition wish I still had that lol.

Oh ya, they are quick for a 3500lb car with a 4 banger. I have a buddy that has one with a built motor. Runs about a 12sec 1/4 mile, and he's still improving!! They guy that actually bought my red one tonight, already said it may get him in trouble with the basic mods I had done!! What year pace car?

Good god that thing is ugly!!!

Lol Jk I know you will make it look nice! And no kidding on the barn find! Nice find.

Always the smart ass arent you Weston!!! Im actually calling in all favors on this one. Ive got a powder coating buddy and painting buddy, that are gonna have their hands on pieces of it over the winter. Got a trans lined up that has a grinding 4th gear so I can atleast get it together and make sure everythings good to go, besides I can swap out a T5 in about an hour start to finish!!

I believe it was it 1985 86 tony I could be wrong it had the dual headlights lol.

Found out why its in such good shape!! It was last registered in Tennessee, brought up here and parked for what was supposed to be a 5 speed swap. Loading it up I noticed most of the oem paint is still on the rear axle, so Im even happier!! Got some fresh from the barn pics to!!

Been busting ass cleaning and such since I got it. Probably about a min of $500 worth of new parts in the trunk that will be used as I put it back to gether. Already lining up a paint job and some powder coating work to be done over the winter. At this moment the interior is completely pulled out, pedal swap for the 5 speed done, motor dropped in to mock up some mods, and cleaning, sanding, polishing on this that and another!! LOL She looking good since I last updated. $10 at the car wash only got the outside of the body clean, rest done by hand at home!!! And without further adieu some progress pics.

Got off work early today so I decided to take another stab at getting the mouse smell out of the car body. Buddy suggested pressure washing it! Low and behold the color of the water coming out at first scared me!!! Brownish Yellowish!!!! Pressure washed it not once but twice, second time around the water coming off stuff was alot cleaner. Toweled everything down to get standing water out and let it dry while I ran some errands. Came back and sure enough it smelled 100X's better. In the process of washing the inside down I also decided to finish other pieces of the interior!!! Carpets have been done for a week I was just letting them dry all the way! All seats were targeted today and I must say they look a hell of a lot better now!!!

Decided to lay the carpets down as they were slightly getting out of shape from the washing. May start putting some of the interior back together, especially if it doesnt get in the way for something that needs to be done later.

The alternators new home has been officially decided since things have been figured out with the hood interference problem. Im going to be making a slightly turned down tube that will keep the TB lower than the hood and still face forward for the front mount. You can also see my redneck brace bracket, Im probably not 100% done with it but it places it so I can get the rest lined up. Then the motor can come back out for some new seals and some cleaned and PC'd parts.

Been busy boys, Ive been here you just havent seen me!!! LOL (not logged in!! ) Between work and the Tbird, Poor Jar-Jar has been put to the side for a short time. But not forgotten.

Had to do some fabbing to make other parts work and have done some wiring upgrades. May even have a line on a completely built motor!! Tinted the taillamps, finally got all the smell out and started to put the interior back in. Started mounting in my front mount intercooler. Ive been all over the car!!! Cant seem to sit still!!

Throttle body was hitting the hood with the rotated upper, so I had to come up with a way to do some modding. After discussing it with some other guys we came up with this!!

Wired the headlights to relays, since the 25 year old switches were never designed for the amps of all the lights running at once.

Tinted tails and decided to see how the Ford Motorsports spoiler looked like on this car.

It may be a Ford, but, I'm glad to see someone making progress on their car! Lol. I've been buying stuff for my Javelin, as of late. Got my repair panels for the rear coming, got a great deal on a trunk lid I couldn't pass up (not that I really needed it), V8 cross member, etc...

That Thunderturd is coming along nicely! Lol. Couldn't help it.

It'll come along a hell of a lot quicker if I could get my wheeling and dealing done on the motor trans and clutch setup I found locally. The motor work alone, with the right injectors, fuel system, boost, and tune would probably be capable of 500hp and it is still a 2.3 Turbo. If I can find a way to get a body kit from PA to WI, I can probably pick up an original dealer installed kit. Only transporting it is killing me getting it right now.

Oh and in other news on it, in true racer fashion the battery is gonna be relocated to the trunk so I have room for the alternator.

Nice. I'm shooting for 450 horse from my Javelin. Just got to track down a World Class T5 to build for it.

Sounds like fun!!! Im still trying to strike a deal with the guy, he willing to barter but looking for stuff most people dont have laying around.

Ya he's asking $1200 for the complete setup or trading, so I sent him a message on what would he being willing. 2 of the things if people have them laying around they plan on using them!! 302 aluminum heads or 70mm T4 turbo, Im sitting here like really!!! Not easy things to find on the cheap. Ive even been hitting CL and ebay up trying to find someone that didnt know what they had and Im striking out! Wheres the luck Ive had putting Jar-Jar together.

Back