my new project

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright so i got er mostly back together today to see if it would run. Turns over but never started. So i checked to see if it was getting fire and it appears to not be getting any spark. What is my next step here? What else should i troubleshoot? Will i need a new stator? Thanks for the help guys.

I would run a double check on all the wires and plugs to be sure you didn't forget to plug something in something could have came disconnected when putting everything back on like the power wire to the coil pack under the front hood

I would run a double check on all the wires and plugs to be sure you didn't forget to plug something in something could have came disconnected when putting everything back on like the power wire to the coil pack under the front hood

yea tomorrow im going to go over and double check that, and make sure nothing is shorting on the frame and such.

103_0010.jpg

Its looking good. Nice and clean!
Thanks man. Now if i could only get it to start! haha. I redone the spark test and it IS getting a spark. Motor turns over no prob. Now im thinking it might be a fuel problem. Hope i can figure it out soon. Im ready to ride! And my wife is being induced Monday to have our little girl, so after monday i wont be getting alot of extra time to work on it for awhile.

Also is it might be possible im 180 degrees off on my timing. How do i know if im on my compression stroke at tdc? Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

It is about impossible to be off 180 if you lined up the mark on the flywheel with the line in the threaded hole and the mark on the cam gear with the little tab on the head.

WO WHOOO! i got it running. Had to do some rewiring to the battery and done what 87 said and put some gas in the sparkplug hole and boom! but it is reved insane high. Tried turning the idle down and nothing. Im guessing it needs some carb work.

WO WHOOO! i got it running. Had to do some rewiring to the battery and done what 87 said and put some gas in the sparkplug hole and boom! but it is reved insane high. Tried turning the idle down and nothing. Im guessing it needs some carb work.

Cool man, check the carb boot also, make sure it isnt ripped. Make sure all the joints on the intake side are sealing good. Get a rebuild kit for the carb and clean the crap out of it.

Since it sounds like this thing was abused some before you got it, check the throttle cable at the throttle housing. If it is screwed out from the housing too far it will idle high. Just turn in if it is out.

Since it sounds like this thing was abused some before you got it, check the throttle cable at the throttle housing. If it is screwed out from the housing too far it will idle high. Just turn in if it is out.

Nailed it. Got it fixed.

Got the throttle cable adjusted and rode it around the house a bit. Truly got the biggest sense of accomplishment when i heard it start. All the effort finally paid off. I feels like it will run like a scalded dog but i didnt trust getting on the throttle too much. It did feel like it didnt want to shift past 3rd. And i did detect some unusual noise from top end. Maybe just the valves? Cant wait to get it all fine tuned and ready for the trails. :slayer:

There is nothing better than having your hard work pay off. From the atv rebuilds I've done to engine swaps, intakes, and such on cars and trucks, it doesn't get old. Generally speaking, give it a good 10 hrs of breakin time before going full throttle. Varying the engine speed and not running at 1 constant throttle position is best on a fresh engine. It helps the rings seat more, keeps them from baking, and lets the clearinces "wear into themselves". So to speek. After 10 hrs change oil and filter. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Technically it isnt a new top end. It had some hours on it but was still in good shape. Its stock bore with a JE high comp piston. Do u think i will still require break in time?

Back