Help with flat tracking set up??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathius

Reaction score
So I decided that I'm gonna go with a full blown flat track set up on the hybrid.. It's just to much quad for the trails.

To make a long story short I wanna do the 400ex lower arms, gen2 uppers. and lower the frontend of the quad a bit.
Now my question is how low is to low? I have seen a lot of flat trackers with the a-arms sitting pretty much strait with the frame..
If I lower the front, how could I lower the rear?
What length swinger would be the best for flat tracking, and finally I want an adjustable axle.. Is the tusk axle any good? The price is right..

I'm more or less looking for some advice here, I'm not really sure how to play this yet?

couldn't you lower the rear by removing the dog bone linkage and bolting the lower eye of a 660 shock directly to the swinger in the spot the dog bone connected?

Do a lowering link for the rear swingarm length stock or if you can keep it planted -1 or -2 its ok to run spacers and flipped wheels on the front for a bit for flat track until you get a good front suspension. For how much to drop the front its all on where you feel itll handle best by test and tune. I almost prefered having the front slightly taller to get over the back tires more. Highly recommend the tusk axle

Do a lowering link for the rear swingarm length stock or if you can keep it planted -1 or -2 its ok to run spacers and flipped wheels on the front for a bit for flat track until you get a good front suspension. For how much to drop the front its all on where you feel itll handle best by test and tune. I almost prefered having the front slightly taller to get over the back tires more. Highly recommend the tusk axle

Yah I'm gonna buy the tusk axle, it's half the price of a durablue..
I think I'll buy the arms first, and do some mock up on what feels comfy before I buy my shocks.
Then wheels, tires, and some bling.. lol

Then I'm gonna have to figure out what length of swinger to buy? (Or make)
Wouldn't you wanna go longer to keep the front tires down. I can't go shorter, it wants to flip over at half throttle as is!! I was think'n at least a +3 to keep the quad stable coming outta corners..

Last edited:
+2 or 3 swinger, works up front, shee rear, paddles and go to the dunes! That's where that thing belongs. Lol. If you do flat track might I suggest a wheelie bar? That is if you are allowed to run one. And yeah, you deffinetly don't want a longer swinger for flat track. That much I do know. The longer the bike to more stable under eccel but the harder to turn, the shorter the swinger the easier to turn but more unstable under accel. Just like motorcycles. Short crotch rockett easy to turn, long cruiser more stable.

damn........and I wanted to see this beast rip up some hills and kill some bogs.

Check out sidewayz old warrior. It was a full out flat tracker. Hes got some threads on here with good info.

+2 or 3 swinger, works up front, shee rear, paddles and go to the dunes! That's where that thing belongs. Lol. If you do flat track might I suggest a wheelie bar? That is if you are allowed to run one. And yeah, you deffinetly don't want a longer swinger for flat track. That much I do know. The longer the bike to more stable under eccel but the harder to turn, the shorter the swinger the easier to turn but more unstable under accel. Just like motorcycles. Short crotch rockett easy to turn, long cruiser more stable.
I think I may have created a swingarm controversy.. lol
But I would love to build a dune rocket! Theres just one problem.. The closest dune pile is like 300 miles away.

damn........and I wanted to see this beast rip up some hills and kill some bogs.
Maybe I should build a hill climber? It's not going in the mud though..
I could build a hill climber/dune machine... I dunno what to do with it now? But it just isn't tame enuf for the trails. The motor would run hot, and I would never get out of second gear.
I have to agree with Pat. I think this quad belongs in the Dunes!

You talkin to me? Cause I said no to the longer swinger. Lol.

Dude that thing is ment for the sand! Imo, it is not the best quad for flat track with the stock engine, let alone that smoker. 300 miles ain't bad. Especially when I'd have to go ATLEAST twice that to a pit. Put the extended swinger in, extended axle, works and a shee, paddles out back and baldies up front and hit the dunes. You'd prob have so much more fun out there, then a track.

id ice race that bitch ... some studs , tusk axle , a arms/spacers/or dj's widening kit (not that best but work ok for ice racing) , shocks ,and sway bar

You talkin to me? Cause I said no to the longer swinger. Lol.

Dude that thing is ment for the sand! Imo, it is not the best quad for flat track with the stock engine, let alone that smoker. 300 miles ain't bad. Especially when I'd have to go ATLEAST twice that to a pit. Put the extended swinger in, extended axle, works and a shee, paddles out back and baldies up front and hit the dunes. You'd prob have so much more fun out there, then a track.
Sorry man.. I misread your comment.

But yah..... I think a hill climber, drag/dune bike is the direction I'm going to head. I'm gonna acquire some parts over the winter.
I'm gonna do some work on it right now, and try to get a video made before voting on QOTM closes. :evilface:
I haven't even looked at it in the last 2 weeks.

Your good mathius. My Clint Eastwood was to respond to a quote on this thread. Only the damn computer never quoted it. Lol

Btw, the new dirtwheels has an artical about converting banshee stators from ac to dc to run led and other stronger lights. Might be worth looking into. I know yours is 6v but maybe you can make something of it.

Btw, the new dirtwheels has an artical about converting banshee stators from ac to dc to run led and other stronger lights. Might be worth looking into. I know yours is 6v but maybe you can make something of it.
I'll look into that.. I've been looking into converting a blaster lighting coil, and using a regulator to charge a battery. Then I could run more stuff, like perhaps EFI... :evilface:

I was outside piss'n around with it just now, and tryed to get it running. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fire?
Yah I left the fuel on, and I'm outta gas.. lol

You kanucks... Lol. Look into that artical. I forget the company's name they used for the batt and reg/rect. I'm sure they'd have something that'd work for ya, eh.

You kanucks... Lol. Look into that artical. I forget the company's name they used for the batt and reg/rect. I'm sure they'd have something that'd work for ya, eh.

Lmao.. It's not my fault. I dunno if it's a first gen thing, or my petcock is fucked up? But if you don't turn it all the way to off, the fuel still flows. (POS)

Anyway I looked into that, and it wouldn't work in my case.. I can't get a lighting coil that produces enuf wattage to get away with it. :tdown:
The biggest one I can get is 100 watts, and that would take some modify'n to make work as is. Even a rewound would only produce about 120 watts max!

Latest posts

Back