front diff swap on first gen?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all... hey guys new member here!

I have been doing some browsing in random forums but haven't come up with anything yet. Has anybody successfully swapped a front differential from a different model into a wolverine to achieve a push-button 4wd system? I'm referring to the first gen full time 4wd units btw.

I have seen the Warn 424 setup out there, but I think a legit diff. swap would make an interesting project. Here is some info that I have been considering...

The newer style wolverine/kodiak ultramatic front differentials use a CV prop shaft vs the universals on the first gen wolverine.
The grizzly 600 uses a push button front diff. with universals, but is nearly twice the length of the stock wolverine differential which would put some intense strain on the drive shaft, if it would work at all.

I have looked into this also and what I did find was that the diff out of a 1999 Kodiak was a direct bolt up and the gear ratio was the same. I believe that there is a wright up about it on the ATV Connection forum. This was a bout a year ago.

Unless i'm mistaken a '99 kodiak isn't push-button 4x4? I have a parts '99 kodiak here but it is a canadian model so it might be different.

I did some searching on another forum and people seem to think the 02 big bear front diff is the one to use since its more or less the same thing as the wolverine only with the magic button... interesting...

Yes your right My Bad, It was the BigBear and I think they had push button in 99 if 2000.

Back