First Gen Club

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the tie-rod balljoints different between 87 and 99? I installed some tie-rods off my 99 onto my 87 cause the 87's have some wobble to them. The steering is good when weight is on the quad but if i jack up the front and the suspension droops out i dont get full turning of the bars.

What would cause my steering to not fully turn left&right when the front is drooped out? The tie-rods are the same length as the ones i had on before.

I just dont want a tie-rod failure in my race

i did!! My 88 didnt have the mounting brackets on the frame so i made some at work and welded them on and then the heel gaurds bolted right on.. You could probly use some small exhaust pipe clamps, clamp them to the frame where the heel gaurds rear mounts go and just bolt them to the clamps..

Thanks I guess all warriors that came with heel guards are pretty much the same. I'll give
it a shot...

Hey Red Warrior, if you are going to put stock warrior heel guards on a first gen, or a 87 for sure anyway, you will need foot pegs from a later year warrior to mount the heel guards properly. The pegs on a 87 are too short. I just found that out today and therefore I just bought some for a 96 off ebay today. Instead of welding mounting tabs onto the frame, I found some 1" water pipe clamps at my hardware store that fit the frame and the bolt that tightens down the clamp sticks out far enough to go through the mounting hole on the guard and has enough threads left to get a locknut on.

Thanks guys. After looking around it looks like it might be cheaper to get a set of nerfs off of eBay. Still looking though.

I got my heel guards with backer plates off here for $20. Spent another $3 on hardware and $11 on the clamps. Got the right foot pegs off ebay for $14 shipped. That is still less than a cheaper set of nerfs off ebay. Persistence pays off. I've been looking at nerfs and heel guards for 4 months and just kept waiting for a deal and found one. If you do look on ebay, there is a seller, tunerkid12, that has good prices and free shipping on all his items. I have bought from him a few times and never regretted it. Been wanting nerfs and put that off and ends up that a guy 2 miles from me is selling his for next to nothing. Lucky me. Just keep looking, there are deals out there.

Even with nerfs, you may need to get different foot pegs. The ones on my 87 didn't have the mounting holes in them and were too short for guards. The nerfs mount in the same holes the guards do. I have my neighbors 2002 in my garage and I looked at it and his pegs are about 3/4 of an inch longer than mine and have the holes in them where as mine don't.

Good points. Not completely sold on nerfs but looks like the longer pegs are needed also.

Hey red, I just finished putting heel guards on my 87, got different pegs and had both sides done in about 30 minutes. Only issue is deciding on how or what you want to use for a 3rd mount. I used conduit wall clamps for now til I get my welder fixed. The fender brace lines up perfectly with the backer plate, only had to drill the other mounting hole in the fender.

Yeah I will put a few pics up later today. Honestly, If I would have done my homework and realized I had to get new pegs for this to work, I would have done what Pat said and bought the wider Raptor 350 pegs and guards. They look much better than stock warrior guards. I am happy with the end result though. I wasn't sure if I was going to ever put heel guards on mine but my son has started riding it and he's had his foot come off the pegs a few times so I added them to protect him. You know how it is, gotta keep my pride and joy safe while he's out beating on my other pride and joy.

Sorry It took so long to add a few pics. I had to order a new camera cord as I guess the old one grew legs and took off. Here are the heel guards on my 87 and how I mounted the rear support to the frame temporarily.
DSCF0685_zps82205240.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

I also removed the pullstart and added the other starter boss and cover. I swapped out the modified banshee shifter for a 2010 yzf250 shifter.
DSCF0686_zpsd0eaf758.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back