E-Start Dead...Help!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clark4131

Reaction score
I've got an '07 450 that won't e-start. I retrofitted a pull start on it prior to the problem and have verified the quad will start and run, but I can't seem to figure out the problem with the magic button. The problem surfaced after I washed it, the starter would just buzz loudly, without turning the starter. I replaced the starter with no luck. I replaced the relay with no luck, same buzzing. I've got power going to the starter but it won't turn. The starter won't turn even if I jump it directly from the battery. If I disconnect the power to the starter, the relay operates normally, just one big click as it opens when I hit the starter button. I cannot figure it out. Any ideas? Please help! Thanks...SC

not an expert but could it be the STATOR and i dont mean starter of course .. LOL

Try this... pull the starter motor out of the engine and "bench test" it by using your ATV's electrical system. That way you are testing the motor and the relay, etc all in one whack.

With the starter out, run a jumper from the positive lead (that bolts to the starter) to the stud on the starter motor. Run another jumper from a good ground (negative terminal would work) to the body of the starter to ground the starter. Hold the starter in your hand (firmly because it will jump) and with the key on, push the starter button.

If the motor doesn't spin, you have a problem in the electrical system somewhere. Try bypassing the solenoid (relay) and touch the jumper right to the positive terminal of the battery. If it still doesn't spin you got a dud starter which is not likely.

If the motor DOES spin, two things come to mind. A.) The starter clutch on the flywheel or some other mechanical problem exists. B.) The starter is not strong enough to work with a load on it which would have me looking for a bad connection/bad ground/etc.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back