Carburetor choice?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcow

Reaction score
As you might know, my stock carb is causing constant problems and I'm thinking or replacing it with an aftermarket carb. But I want to find something cheap and/or used on ebay. What are my choices? There are so many with the right size and I don't know the difference between them.

dont get anything except a edel. From what i herd when i was looking for a carb nothing is that better then the stock one except the edel. If your not looking to spend a couple hundred i would say go with a stock. My friend has a stock one he will sell you. If your interested in it pm me.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the edelbrock is the ONLY one that's better than the stock carb, as the stock carb isn't that spectacular. The other ones like the ones white brothers sells should be an improvement over stock, at least the ones with the accelerator pump. And the best carb for one person isn't going to be the best for everybody else either, but generally speaking the edelbrock does seem to be the best bang for your buck. I got mine for $366 brand new and it made a huge difference to my machine.

My favorite part is how easy rejetting is now. Today was the first day I started my warrior in about a month, maybe more, and it was about 40 degrees outside. After trying to start it for a few minutes, and clearing out the impressively large deposit of acorns in my exhaust and airbox, I came to the conclusion that I was too lean for the cold weather, and that's why it wouldn't idle. So I reached under my gas tank, squeezed the throttle all the way open, and turned the knob 6 clicks clockwise. Now i'm rejetted for the colder weather. Normally with a stock carb you get the pleasure of fiddling around with taking the carb off the machine, switching out jets, putting it back on, and hopefully you got the right jets put in it. By that time in this cold weather your hands are froze and you no longer want to ride. That sucks.

But ****, there must have been a chipmunk or something stashing nuts all over my quad. Same thing happened last year, the warrior sat for a couple weeks when the cold weather started coming, and when I went to start it acorns went shooting across my shed. But damn, this time they PACKED the exhaust full of acorns, presumably all the way up to the bend in the headpipe this time. Plus the airbox was filled to the top with acorns and nesting materials (won't happen again, just cut the bottom of my airbox out). And there's even some laying on my chassis skid and a couple other random places. But enough of me ranting about chipmunks, I must be bored...

Yeah the stock carb design is the worst I've seen. I like the CV carbs as the power band is really nice and have great response, lots of torque, keeping the volecity up inside and through the carb by there vaccum secondary slide. Give up a little top end power to the flat side design but make up for it on the bottom and mid range. Here are some options. You will have to buy a intake manifold adaptor to go from the intake manifold to the carb. Hopefully the cables will match up if not you can always call motion pro and have them custom make you one.
This is a earlier model z400 carb with out the auto choke or tps. Stock carb is 36mm, so look for something in that size. I've seen some white brothers kits go for very cheap along with the 38mm PE kit which anything IMO would be better then the stock carb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ltz400-z400-kfx400-ltz-carburetor-with-cables-carb_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQihZ014QQitemZ330194397969QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-YAMAHA-RAPTOR-CARBURETOR-CARB-WARRIOR-THROTTLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43979QQihZ018QQitemZ280178740012QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
This looks like the white brothers kit one.. cheaper one. I wouldn't pay more then $50.00 dollars for this one but still is an upgrade. Make sure and e-mail him to ask what actual bike it came off of, but for sure it looks to be a warrior.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/38-mm-Mikuni-round-slide-carb-NoRes_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43979QQihZ019QQitemZ290186813886QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

These a just acouple I found.. If you want I can keep an eye out for an actual kit so it will bolt right on. Most of these kits by re-jeting them is very easy and most you don't have to take the carb off to do so.

Thanks, I'll go have a look when I get home with faster internet, dialup sucks. But where would I get the adaptor,and how much would it cost?

Thanks, I'll go have a look when I get home with faster internet, dialup sucks. But where would I get the adaptor,and how much would it cost?

I got mine from duncan racing. I believe you get one through sudco as well.
From what I can remember it was $20.00

Yeah the stock carb design is the worst I've seen.

Indeed... we spent that whole topic figuring out what the deal was with that damned thing to. What a POS....

[quote:uoi33jh2]Yeah the stock carb design is the worst I've seen.

Indeed... we spent that whole topic figuring out what the deal was with that damned thing to. What a POS....[/quote:uoi33jh2]

Yea I read that, I remember not understanding half the stuff said. :p

heres the factory intake manifold for a raptor so you can bolt up any of these carbs you want. Wish I would have found this before ordering one from DR as then you don't have to use the stock intake manifold with an adaptor..
5YT-13586-00-00 JOINT, CARBURETOR 1 $22.25
Yamahasportsplaza.com under 06 raptor 350 intake.

Nice, that's for a 36mm carb, correct?

Just another random question. Is the air filter side outlet the same size in the stocker carb and the z400/raptor carb?

Another edit, has anybody heard of this carb: http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-ARCTIC-CAT-ZRT-600-36-MM-CARB-CARBURATOR_W0QQitemZ280152280452QQihZ018QQcategoryZ26353QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
It's a 36mm Mikuni, might it work?

That manifold should fit the 38mm PE kehin carb and all that I listed above that are 36mm.
You may have to soak your intake tube after the carb in hot water to get it over say the 38mm carb but other then that it should slide on.
I personally wouldn't tinker with a carb that is made for a 2 stroke as the pilot circuits are different... one uses a air screw ffor fuel mixture and 4 strokes use a pilot/fuel screw.

Well I just won a myself a Z400 carb for $46+shipping. :D Could you send me a link or part number for the boot from sudco or duncan racing? I searched through their sites and found nothing.

Wow I gotta stop buying stuff for this ATV, I just bought a pipe and carb today. I'm running out of money. :(

You'll have to call Duncan Racing.. 16192586306. Ask them for the intake manifold adaptor that goes from the intake manifold to the carb. (aftermarket)

OK thanks, I'll go price up an raptor boot this weekend from my dealer, but I'm betting anything it'll be expensive.

Also, I was told when I wanted a new carb on my old quad. Then I could go to my local auto parts/ or a home depot place, and they have rubber tubing, and some with both ends different sizes. I would say if you want to check these places out just get the length you need and also the size of the hole on each side. My home depot has them every so often, and there like 2.50$ depending on the sizes.

Latest posts

Back