Been sitting for 6 years. Where to start?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savage24x

Reaction score
1987 Warrior. Friend had it in the she and never told me.

There was no gas left in it, but the battery is dead. The ignition was off, but battery won't take a charge at 2amp or 10amp. So, we tried the pull starter. It was really, really tough to pull. My friend lifts, and he could barely do it.

The shifter feels gummy. I don't know the proper word, but if I push down to put it in first, it stays down, half-way up for neutral stays at half way up.

I put carb cleaner through the fuel inlet. Then opened throttle and pull started. It's in gear. I put a splash of super into the tank and switched to the reserve. Couldn't get it started after 7 or 8 pulls. Too hard to pull. What's to do now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a new battery oil filter oil and plug put some good gas in it. Not a lot just enough to get it thru the carb and small amount in the tank and see if it starts.

I'll check the oil. What's the standard gap for plug? Does the motor oil also act as gear oil for the shifter?

Last edited:
I was thinking about the really hard to pull thing with the noise question ... Cuz the starter clutchs like to lock up and darg the starter making these really hard to pull over when they sit for years

I was thinking about the really hard to pull thing with the noise question ... Cuz the starter clutchs like to lock up and darg the starter making these really hard to pull over when they sit for years

Gotcha. It feels like it gets super tight at TDC like there's tons of compression. To me, it feels like it's making one cycle and that's it. I'll have to check on the noise tomorrow when I go back over.

Anytime you bring a bike back to life, start with oil. First drain the oil and fill back up with T6. Before you crank it over, lubricate the cylinder with a light oil to lubricate and unstick the rings if needed.
Then worry about carb and spark.

Anytime you bring a bike back to life, start with oil. First drain the oil and fill back up with T6. Before you crank it over, lubricate the cylinder with a light oil to lubricate and unstick the rings if needed.
Then worry about carb and spark.

T6 is 4-stroke wet clutch?

It's actually for Diesel engines. Made by Shell, Rotella T6. And it is for wet clutches.
The best oil that I have run.
So let's go ahead and get the great oil debate going guys.

It's actually for Diesel engines. Made by Shell, Rotella T6. And it is for wet clutches.
The best oil that I have run.
So let's go ahead and get the great oil debate going guys.

I have SAE 30 laying around that does not say anything about clutch compatibility. Safe or not safe?

I've got an update. Oil change fixed the shifter. It runs fine with the electric start, except it dies past 1/4 throttle. I did two cycles of sea foam, hasn't made a difference. Running on sea foam, it hit about 1/2 throttle no problem and still didn't die when I let go of the throttle. I'm running 93 octane. I'm thinking a carb clean, then if that doesn't work, a rebuild. Confirmation?

I put in 10W-30 for our weather.

Back