98 warrior starting/running problem.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The98warrior

Reaction score
alright sorry if this is long but need a solution. i just bought this warrior tuesday and it ran fine. i took it out with some buddys the other day after it rained so it was a little wet/muddy. about an hr in to the ride it just bogs down and dies and the starter button/and or starter wouldnt work unless i bounced on the seat or tried to push start it down a hill, kinda like a loose connection or somethin got wet. after lettin it sit for about 30 mins then lettin on my buddys pull me to the truck i said what the hell i try for shits and gigs and it started right up and idel perfect?? but throttle response was to **** and would bog down if i tried to go wide open then with a steady throttle it would almost be missing so i thought maybe water got in the gas becuz my air box isnt sealed or fouled plug so i cleaned the carb and put new gas in it rode it for about 5 mins and was all good. so i load up to meet some buddys and filled her up then i unload it and try to start it and back to square one. idk what the hell is goin but i know yall do. help a man out!

heres a pic of the plug, its gettin replaced tuesday when the shop opens

314td8k.jpg

2nstoiv.jpg

Well first get a ngk and ditch the champion plug. 2nd, check all electrical connections, that's what your bouncing on the seat sounds like. 3rd, inspect your intake manifold, they are known to rip. May be more involved, but have to keep it simple first.

yea the champion was in there when i bought it and im gettin a new one when the dealer opens. i cleaned my carb i didnt notice any rips or anything and the problem didnt happend till after i went threw a little bit of water. its just weird to me cuz after i worked on it today it ran so good then took a **** on me after i drove to meet my buddys. and i didnt notice anything unplugged and if there was wouldnt it not run good then all of the sudden run like **** again?

It could be that water got to your stator or the electrical plug for the stator. Some people have had that prob. Check your oil for any water in it, and take the stator's elec plug apart and see if there is dampness in it. You may need to use a hair dryer on the connections to dry it out. If it did it after a water puddle, and your carb and induction system are clean and free of water, I'd look into the electrical system.

my 92 has that problem after riding for an hour or so it would just bog down and die and wouldn't start for about 30 minutes and at half to full throttle it would snap and pop like it was missing I'm thinking it could be the stator or the wires going to the stator right where they go into the side case. just a thought haven't figured out my 92 prob yet cause I blew the motor in my 02 and took the 92 motor out and put in the 02 with the 02's stator and flywheel and haven't had any issues with the motor now that it's in the 02 and the only thing I eliminated was the 92's stator

It could. If something got wet and has mosture in it still, electrical current will have difficulty flowing. Can result in week or erratic spark. Lets theorize that water got into your crankcase, okay. That water gets on your stator and flywheel. It doesn't take long for that flywheel to get some rust scale on it. Rust scale makes it harder for the magnets and coils "read one another". Water and anything electrical is never a good mix, so imagine that with your stator. Now, that being said, I'm not saying that is your problem. Moisture in an electical plug/contact has the same effect, causing bad electrical flow. You know it's not mechanical, and if your intake/carb system is clean and free of debris/water you can eleminate that, the last place to look is electrical.

but then again champions are the worst plug you can run in a wheeler they run too damn hot you should go bitch slap the idiot that put that in it I did it back in the day before I knew it was wrong in my 185s honda 3 wheeler and it only ran for about an hour and died put a new NGK in and never had an issue

You also eliminated the 92's wiring harness. But that's al subjective now.
Yes I did thanks for catching that simply forgot we do it all the time right?
or is it just me am I getting senile already lol

yea i would do that butttt i only got it for 500 so im not complaining one bit about this problem, i posted pics in the introduction a min ago if you want to check it out and tell me if it was worth the money lol

yea i would do that butttt i only got it for 500 so im not complaining one bit about this problem, i posted pics in the introduction a min ago if you want to check it out and tell me if it was worth the money lol
ANY warrior for $500 or less is worth it even if it don't run

alright so i guess next step is to test the stator and wiring. guess that would explain why the startor button works when it wants to?

I got my 92 for $200 and it didn't run until I got it home and found out the power wire to the coil was unplugged lol and the guy just payed $2500 for it and piped and jetted it

Some stators have been known to be perfect and in spec cold and when fully heated up, they wont spec out. May not be the problem, but every little idea will get you 1 step close to figuring it out. Id ohm the stator cold and hot(right after it dies) and also check the connection. Along with any other connection you can find. Especially for loose or corroded grounds, youd be surprised how much of a pain a bad ground can give you! I know from experience with my old red one. On that one the little ground that comes off the negative battery cable and goes into the harness, the bullet connector corroded and came disconnected inside the rubber protector. replaced said connector and I had no issues after that.

alright so i guess next step is to test the stator and wiring. guess that would explain why the startor button works when it wants to?
could be a loose connection too like the terminals on the battery or solenoid always assume the simple things first otherwise you be spending money left and right and not gaining any ground

alright im just gunna check all the elctrical and hope i find my problem. im ready to be worry free and not waste gas (4.19/g)to go ride and find out my bike wont start lol

alright im just gunna check all the elctrical and hope i find my problem. im ready to be worry free and not waste gas (4.19/g)to go ride and find out my bike wont start lol
$4.19 holy **** $3.79 here at least it was at 4pm

quick noob question. i work for honda(vehicles) and they use ngk plugs. could i run one of those or have to go to dealer and run theres?

Back