88 warrior pickup coil issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcoulter

Reaction score
I bought a warrior that has no spark. In going through the tests in the manual, it says to check resistance between the Blue and Yellow wires for the pickup coil and between the Red and the white/green for the source coil. What I'm wondering is, the blue and yellow wires do not go into the same spot on the coil. The coil has 4 wires, blue and white on one end, yellow and green on the other. There are two pickups on the coil. The resistance between those pairs is within the spec given in the manual, but there is nothing between the Blue and Yellow. So is the coil bad or not???

Also, the CDI side of the plug only has 3 wires, which makes the white wire completely useless as it just ends at the plug. Is something wrong here??????? This is harder than I thought it would be.

Are the readings your gettin exactly what they have in the manual? cz when my pick up coil was bad it was only about 5 or 6 below what it was supposed to be and when i got a new one it was a little over what it was supposed to be and it worked perfect. Didnt make sense tho but it worked...

I called the guy I bought it from to see if he could help. He said the whole stator area assembly is not the original and he changed it to see if he could get it to spark. He still had the original and upon inspection found that the white and yellow wires were spliced together at the factory and it only has a 3-wire lead. I spliced it but still no spark. I checked everything else and the only thing outside of teh manual specs is the main ignition coil only has 1.3 ohms resistance between the orange wire and the frame. This is like 8 ohms low. Is that my problem?

My mistake, it is HIGH. the spec is .36-.48 ohms, I'm getting 1.3.

I'm trying to decide if I need to buy a coil, or a CDI, or both.

before i bought anything i would go through and clean up ALL of the connections in the wires and make sure eveything is connected just to make sure of things.

Back