'88 Warrior 350X

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so no one in this town has a puller for the starter clutch i can use. does sears sell this part? if so u have the link to the correct one?? my starter clutch arrives in the mail today and would love to get this changed out.

also can i do this without the clutch puller? i have a 3 prong gear puller but dunno if that'll work

ok got the starter clutch in hand...really wanna get this thing in.....any ideas???

Last edited:
damn it i dont wanna wait....i want to change it now lol.....anything???

damn it i dont wanna wait....i want to change it now lol.....anything???

It sucks dude.. But you need that puller to get the magneto off, if you try a different puller you could damage the magnets in the magneto.
Then you'd have to replace it to.

Just have some patience, you'll get it figured out. :iagree:

persistence is the key....finally found a shop that let me borrow one...gonna replace it tonight :) hopefully it will run

persistence is the key....finally found a shop that let me borrow one...gonna replace it tonight :) hopefully it will run

:tup:

I'll get that shipping quote for you soon BTW.. It's just so fack'n hot up here I don't wanna go anywhere, or do anything..

But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be more than $20 though?

ok i know im bein a pain but here goes. i put the puller on....turn it with a ratchet and cant get it off....the flywheel keeps spinning. i do have it in gear

ok got the flywheel off. how i remove the flywheel key to replace the bearing?

ok got it back together and it starts up....here is a vid....lotta smoke in the engine...prolly hasnt been run in awhile but is this normal???? what should i be doin now???

http://youtu.be/TSLrtfV2q1w

ok got it back together and it starts up....here is a vid....lotta smoke in the engine...prolly hasnt been run in awhile but is this normal???? what should i be doin now???

http://youtu.be/TSLrtfV2q1w

It looks like it had something spilled all over it...
Was there much smoke coming out of the exhaust???
I would just take some time cleaning the motor up with some dish soap, and some water (brakeclean works good on real greasy stuff).. Maybe a good small scrub brush.. Rinse it off really well before you start it again, then see what happens?
It would also be good to clean everything so you could look for possible oil leaks..

Last edited:
Ok just watched it a few times... It seems like it's coming from the bottom of the jug??

That might mean that gasket is pooched, but retorquing the head bolts might help?
If not you might have to do the gaskets in it..

how tough is that job to do?
Do you have a torque wrench?

It's not hard just time consuming, to replace all the gaskets..
But if your gonna do that you might as well rebuilt the whole topend. (piston, rings, and cam. The timing chain, and rockers, valves, and springs) You would have to take it all apart anyway...
But you could also just pull the jug, and replace the bottom gasket (and head gasket). Then put it back together?

I would first try giving the head bolts a quick retorque before you get worried. (29ft lbs)

You should also invest in a Clymer manual.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-04-YAM...46961772&pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr
It's got all the good info that you would need on repairing a project quad like yours..

sounds expensive

Not really.. Like I said before, just making sure the head has proper torque on it might solve your problem??
But you can get complete gasket kits pretty cheap.

One thing for sure.. If you gotta pull the jug, it's gonna cost you something. lol
(Even if you just buy the base, and head gaskets)

Like on the cheap, I bet you'll find it at least needs to be honed. Then you might as well put a new piston, and rings in it. A new timing chain (cam chain) wouldn't hurt either..
But you don't really need to mess with the head unless you have a problem. It sounded like it was running pretty good..

I don't really know what else to tell yah???

Back