87 warrior no spark. Confused... Testing pick up coil

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarsh

Reaction score
I have salvaged a 87 warrior from certain rust and decay. I was told it had cdi issues. I have tracked down a used replacement since they no longer make new aftermarket replacements. But still no dice. I have tested all the switches and installed a brand new ignition coil. I think my problem lies with the pickup coils. I tested the brown and red single wires from the source coil and they measure 295 ohms. Now here is my question as shown in service manual it only shows a 4 prong connector for both the source coil and pick up coil. This must be wrong I have traced all the wires back to their components in the stator the single red and single brown go to the larger source coil and the 4 prong wires go to 2 different pick up coils and if you test them diagonally you get nothing ( like it shows in the manual) but if I test the up and down I get 195 ohms on both. So is the manual wrong. How much ac current should I see from source and pick ups while cranking

you want to check the ohm's

On the 3 white wires coming out of the stator, they should all have 0.7~0.8 ohms resistance in all three combinations. That means imagine numbering each white wire either 1, 2, or 3. Check 1 to 2, 1 to 3 and 2 to 3. Also, check any one of the white wires to the laminated iron core of the stator. ANY continuity to ground indicates the stator has had an insulation breakdown and will have to be replaced.

To test the Source coil (for the ignition) connect your pocket tester from the white/green wire to the red wire. Resistance should be 270~330 ohms resistance.

To test the pickup coil, connect your tester from the blue to the yellow wire. Resistance should be 171~209 ohms resistance.

See my wires are not those colors. Well other than the 3 white Other than the 3 white I have 2 singles one red one brown. They are attached to the large coil on the stator ( source coil ? ) and a bundle of 4 white,blue. And yellow,green
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375918792.050720.jpg

This a pic of the old one.

I have another rect. But if you look at the ignition diagram the rect. Has nothing to do with the ignition just charging

Thanks. I've tried the other rect but I still don't have a spark. I get 195 ohms on each of the pick up coils and 298 on the source coil . I would like to test the output from the pick up coil while cranking to see if its sending a strong enough signal to fire the cdi.

Talk to Sparkymichigan (Josh) he helped me with that to find out the charging part of the stator was fried on #5
he should be able to tell ya how to test the output

Well I talked to josh he supposed to get back to me when he returns from his trip. I've tested the source coil while cranking and I'm getting 75 or so volts ac. Now on the trigger coils I tested ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376004167.753323.jpg

The blue and green while connected because those are the leads that ohm out to around 200 on the blue while cranking it would jump between .3 and .5 on the green I could not get it to read over .2
Just wanted to write this down so I wouldn't forget what I tested

Not meaning to bump my own post but I just realized that the used cdi I bought has a part # starting with 2xk Not 1uy and that means its for an 88 correct? So could this be why I'm not getting any spark at all

So I scrapped the stock ignition completely went to the junkyard and picked up a ford tfi and coil. And holy **** it runs. Just took it down the road tonight and came flying back in the driveway totally forgetting I have little to no brakes. Thank god for the stack of tires in the back of the garage

Could you please post some info on how you used the ford tfi and coil, thinking about doing the same thing.

yes pleas could your post this thing about the tfi i am ahving nearly the same problem on my 96

Yes please post, I burned through two new coil's so far. I going to mount the original coil I took of the bike when I got it (Genuine Mitsubishi). I have work on cars all my life, but i am a GM guy (Transmission) and not 100% on the Ford TFI and coil use. what did it come off of???
Tranzman

Go pick up a black ford tfi without Hall effect plugin and a ignition coil with wire to distributor.
Google images "ford tfi" you will find a pic with 4 tfi coils 2 grey 2 black you want the 3rd one down
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378882447.797896.jpg
Pip in - timing coil from stator
Spout - not used
Idm - not used
Run - 12v switched
Coil neg - to neg terminal on ford coil
Ign ground - ground

The other wire from timing coil connect that to ground
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378882766.507751.jpg

There will be no spark advance at higher rpms and still not sure if the stator charging coil can keep up with the draw of the ford ignition.

Haven't run mine long enough to find out been working a lot lately and my starter is cooked. Ordering a rebuild kit Friday.
But it runs I was able to run it up and down the road the other day.
This set up does require a battery

As to what the tfi came off of or what to look for in a junkyard. Not exactly sure what truck it was but mid 80's to early 90s distributor type trucks. it's usually mounted on drivers side fender well under the hood. Coil shouldn't be far from the distrib.

Excellent!!! This should work fine, the timing advance is what has me concerned, how does it act at higher r's??? Did it seem to want to cut out or was she strong?

I would say just by reving without in gear and riding down the road in 1st it seemed really strong and no real knocking but I didn't have it under a heavy load. Mine has tranny issues. I can only get mine into 1st, it won't shift up into 2nd and once it's in neutral it's a bitch trying to get it back into 1st.

Yeah I'm hoping I don't have to crack the case open. I haven't tore off the clutch cover yet. I just ordered the starter rebuild today. I should get up and take a look in there but. I don't know if that's where the problem is

Back