87 Warrior, jolts when trying to start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still trying to get my 87 Warrior fixed up. Whenever I try to start it now, it seems to jolt and make a noise like the engine is getting stuck, but to be honest I have no idea what it could be. Any ideas would help, video attached.

Attachments

• VID_20230819_101302049 Trim.mp4
    16.7 MB
I'm not sure about that, the weird part is the starter seems to crank just fine before I put fuel in it. Perhaps I should try again with no fuel to double check.

Here's an update: Tested again to make sure it wasn't the starter. Tried to start it with the ignition coil disconnected, worked just fine, no jolting as the starter smoothly kept turning over the engine. Plugged the ignition coil back onto the spark plug and it started jolting again. In both of these scenarios there was fuel coming in. So it seems to me that this is only caused when it combusts in the chamber, just don't know why it won't continue after firing once. Will clean the carb tomorrow just to try something

Found 2 small tears in the rubber boot holding the carburetor to the engine and I also realized the engine only sounds like it's trying to start whenever the choke is pulled out. Gonna order a new one and hope it has something to do with the air fuel ratio being messed up

Found 2 small tears in the rubber boot holding the carburetor to the engine and I also realized the engine only sounds like it's trying to start whenever the choke is pulled out. Gonna order a new one and hope it has something to do with the air fuel ratio being messed up
Buy the aluminum manifold from zoom zoom.

Still trying to get my 87 Warrior fixed up. Whenever I try to start it now, it seems to jolt and make a noise like the engine is getting stuck, but to be honest I have no idea what it could be. Any ideas would help, video attached.
Mine did the same thing. My motor loss compression. You may need top end work and make sure whatever you drop at the bottom end even if it’s small you gotta clean it out or the metal on metal will make more work for you.

Mine did the same thing. My motor loss compression. You may need top end work and make sure whatever you drop at the bottom end even if it’s small you gotta clean it out or the metal on metal will make more work for you.
My compression is at 110 psi. From what I'm seeing on other forum posts, the minimum should be 114, but it wasn't specifically for the 87 model. Would that 4 psi difference be enough for it to not run?

Latest posts

Back