350 Wolverine.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathius

Reaction score
So I was looking for some feedback, and a bit of info on the older 350 wolverines.

My first question is about the clutch? Did all years of the wolverines have auto clutches, or is there a transition year between the manual clutch? I ask because I've seen a few with a manual clutch, and with auto clutches. I was just curious if the manual clutch is an aftermarket mod?

Secondly I was wondering if anybody has seen a Wolverine ticked out into a lower riding trail machine?
I found this picture on google, and I really like the look of it. :iagree:
350Wolverine.jpg

I dunno if it's just the smaller tires, or the aftermarket rims.. But it looks a bit more aggressive.

I think you all know where I'm come'n from here. I'm gonna buy a wolverine. :tup:

This is the one I'm look'n at: http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...ATVs-1999-Yamaha-Wolverine-W0QQAdIdZ425066361

What does everyone think of it?

Has to be a aftermarket mod cause I have never seen a wolverine with a manual clutch

Ok.. I looked it up, and it's a kit you used to be able to get from fourstroketech. It appears to have been discontinued.
I wonder if you could use a warrior clutch on a wolverine?

they list a clutch lever on ebay for it for 95 - 02
See.. Now I'm confused again.. lol
So some did have manual clutches. If they have a clutch pack, and a lever it must be a manual clutch.

From what I looked up so far it looks like the 90's models were, but I don't know that for sure?

Ok.
So I did a bunch of research, and found that indeed "all" years of wolverines are auto clutch setups.
It's kind of a stupid way of doing it, and I don't like the way it looks, to many moving parts in there.
I might have just changed my mind about wanting one...

I've never seen the guts of a wolverine clutch assy. But, if it is like your typical set up, it has a centrifugal clutch (primary) and a mulit plate (secondary). I've never heard anything bad about the wolverine, period, and the auto clutches are tough as nails! I say get one! They are a great bike, very dependable, and they have f/r disc brakes. Btw, I've examined the wolverine and the big bear 400 cranks (pics only), and I'm positive that they will work in the wolverine case. Do that with the JE 85mm and you have a 405cc stroker/big bore. P&p and a s2hc or 252x1, exhaust, carb, intake, warn 424, maybe the manual clutch set up, and you have a badass mofo! You can probabaly get the pics of the clutch set up and make your own. I'm betting that it is a hydraulic unit that replaces the adjuster screw and lock nut on the clutch cover, so you can depress the clutch pack.

Well I'll definitely keep the Wolverine in mind, but I wanted something I didn't have to throw a bunch of money at to make it cool.
It is about the only 4x4 I've looked at that I really like. I do dig my wife's 400 scrambler though. lol

I like the wolverine in that picture... Not liking the idea of the auto clutch... Too much to invest in swapping for a warrior clutch?

If memory serves the multi plate clutch itself is the same as the warrior's. It is the clutch cover that is different, and, the warrior cover will not work. You can't beat how tough these bikes are, I say go for it!

My co-worker has a 96. He has had it to the dunes, pushed off mini sprinters, and just abused the hell out of it all around. He has never had to put a clutch in it. I just did the top end about 3 months back and it had never been touched either. They are just as tough as a Warrior if maintained.

That they are. Unless you put pressure on the foot shifter while riding it, will you wear out a clutch. Dad's 99 trx300fw has every bit of 30k miles on it and still has the original clutch.

I'm still thinking about buy'n that 99'. But I'm also kinda waiting to see if a better deal comes along? Winter is usually the best time to buy around this part of the world.

They never came with manual clutches, they're all semi-autos.

Personally, I'll take a semi-auto over a fully-auto anyday.

http://www.WolverineCentral.com has a ton of info on Wolverines.

Yah I did a bit of research on the manual clutch conversions, and their out there. But I can't seem to find one.. I thought it would make the quad feel a bit sportier?
I also agree that the semi auto is a bit more fun to ride than a full auto, or a CVT belt drive. But I still really enjoy riding the wife's 400 Scrambler. (Mostly cause I'm a sucker for big 2 strokes. lol)

With that being said, the wife wants a 4 stroke with IRS in trade for the Polaris. I might take her up on that offer.

what kind of riding do you / her do?
We ride the trails in the mountains of the Crowsnest pass. Their fairly smooth trails, with lots of steep hills, and creek crossings. But they can get rutted up bad, and get real muddy after a rain. It's not 2WD sport quad country.

The wife wants a bigger quad thats more modern, and comfortable to ride. She also wants one she can put a utility seat on the back of for the kids.

I want something that just hauls ass, and can get me out of a jam if need be.
Thats why I like the scrambler.. It has push button 4x4, and a winch. That's all ya need. :iagree:

Back