20w-50 weight

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar1

Reaction score
We just had an Advance Auto Parts open in my my town and they're running some good deals on oil. The Advance Auto brand is the only ones they have on sale though, but I think Shell is the supplier. I was thinking the only possible weight that would be suitable for ATV use would be 20w-50, non-synthetic. They didn't have any 15w-40 in their brand. Isn't the stock recommendation 20w-40?

yea, 20w40 or 10w 30. i use 20w50 in my xl600 but thats ok according to its manual. warrior manual doesnt mention 20w50

I was thinking 20w-50 because that 348cc's gets really hot in a hurry, so thicker would be better. I am running 15w-40 right now.

make SURE u use oil that is for wet clutch systems... i used regular oil in mine and smoked 2 clutches in 2 months... i switch to valvoline atv oil and went with a DP clutch and all is good now...

I'm pretty sure it didn't mention wet clutches on the back of the bottle. Isn't it true that lots of people run Rotella with no problems though? I thought that it was only the synthetic oils that screwed the clutch plates over?

im not sure on that. i was using napa oil just cause it was cheap. after replacing the brand new clutch i put in i decided to give the atv oil a try and it succeeded. ive had the dp clutch for 4 months now with no prob what so ever

Well, the 15w-40 I have in mine now is Napa oil, and I can pop the clutch and bring the front end off the ground. I don't think I've ever seen the ATV oil on the shelf anywhere though.

well when the 2 clutches went out in mine, it was slipping very bad in 3rd to 6th gear. i couldnt even give it 3/4 throttle and it started slipping. but i have only been able to find the atv or motorcycle oil at autozone... its like 5 buck a quarts thou..

If you have a oreily's around they have atv motorcycle oil, they had a cheaper brand and carried lucas atv/mc oil. One thing I was told is you can run car oil in there if it doesn't have the API energy saver stamp on the back. Most if not all regular oils have that so you will need to find a atv/mc oil.

jaso-ma or jaso-ma2 are the certifications for wet clutch systems. look for it on the back of the jug.

ive seen some rottela jugs with this and some without, but it meets almost every other rating and its afordible. i use it in every thing i own

I was running straight 50w racing oil in mine before I took it to be rebuilt... Ran great. But I dont reccomend it for long periods. I was only running it because I had developed a small leak and the 50w was to heavy to leak out

jaso-ma or jaso-ma2 are the certifications for wet clutch systems. look for it on the back of the jug.

ive seen some rottela jugs with this and some without, but it meets almost every other rating and its afordible. i use it in every thing i own

IS this even with the API stamp on the bottle or with out? Some of this ATV oil can be exspensive.

The Valvoline ATV oil they had in Advance was $5 a quart when I went in there today.

Wet clutch systems are clutches that are run in oil. I clutch on a car is a dry clutch as its not in oil. Wet clutch systems need oil to help keep the clutches cool and keep them from being burnt up. You can use regular oil but it won't last long and the clutches will burn up from slipping. The is oil made just for these systems, it has different additives then what regular car oil has. The ATV oil needed helps with the clutches not slipping, getting better grip, easablity of shifting and everything else. So you need to have a oil made for a wet clutch system or a atv oil, most any place has it now, most part store should carry it, or if you have local dealer that has oils theres will be atv or motorcycle oils that you can use.

regular oil has a lot of additives (friction modifiers)that are designed to lubericate babbit style bearings like on a v8. this can cause clutch plates to not grab onto the metal plates (slip) when under heavy/hard use.

under average use regular oil will work fine but for another dollar a quart its worth looking into when you change your oil next time. it might save your clutch

Back