2006 Raptor 350 - No Spark

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busterw

Reaction score
I've got a friends raptor I'm working on and he asked me to replace the battery because it has been dead for awhile and won't take a charge. Replaced the battery and it wouldn't start. it will turn over, but won't fire off. I checked spark and there is none. I pulled the orange wire from the plug coil and there's no voltage with the key on or when holding the start button in and letting it turn over.

Prior to it being put up because bearings went out in the rear end, it ran fine. Does this sound like a pickup coil or something else? Is there a way to test the pickup coil before I buy one from rmstator? I hate to buy the part if there's something else I can check first.

Thanks for any input!
Buster

Do a search, we were talking about a while back. Someone posted the specs. Or there's a manual in the stickies.

I had already done a search but the thread I found didn't help me. Can you by chance find the thread you are referring to in case it is not the one I found, and give me a link to it? And I don't see a service manual in the stickies of this board.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Buster

Just replaced my stator because of a bad pickup coil. Ran fine one minute, nothing the next. Tested and the pickup was dead. pull the connector and test it on a meter, mine didnt even read when i checked it. everything else was out of spec too. $90 on ebay got me new stator, ignition coil and starter solenoid. Starts right up now

It just seems strange that it ran fine and then the bearings puked so they put it up. I can't imagine everything would fail from sitting a few months. Did you by chance try just the pickup coil alone or did you just replace everything because you got a good deal on it?

When checking the pickup, I am guessing from what I read you test the ohms. Is that correct? If so, is it the red/white and green/white wires you check?

Thanks!
Buster

Mine faild in an hour, lol. im sure it was on its way out but i rode all day, came in to rest, went to start it and nothing, And my cousins Predator took a dump (mashed a valve), so i'd say its def possible. Yeah i just ordered the whole thing because of the deal. I just did it 2 days ago and i cant remember which wires were which. But i would just run a check on all of them (yes i meant a ohm check), just to make sure they're all up to spec.

start with testing the stator with a multimeter

On the 3 white wires coming out of the stator, they should all have 0.7~0.8 ohms resistance in all three combinations. That means imagine numbering each white wire either 1, 2, or 3. Check 1 to 2, 1 to 3 and 2 to 3. Also, check any one of the white wires to the laminated iron core of the stator. ANY continuity to ground indicates the stator has had an insulation breakdown and will have to be replaced.

To test the Source coil (for the ignition) connect your pocket tester from the white/green wire to the red wire. Resistance should be 270~330 ohms resistance.

To test the pickup coil, connect your tester from the blue to the yellow wire. Resistance should be 171~209 ohms resistance.

found this hope it helps

Crap, this is pissing me off. The plug in question IS the one inside the left year fender that is rectangular shaped that has a red/white, green/white, blue/white and red wire, correct??? I looked in the manual that lbjamm linked to and on page 7-33 it appears that the wires should be yellow and blue and there are no yellow or blue wires on this thing in that plug.

In that same plug I referred to, I checked ohms on all of the 3 white wires against each other and got nothing. But, not still 100% sure that is the correct plug. It does come out of the left side of the engine case.

start at the stator cover and follow the wire bunch until you run into the connections, should be 3 plugs, 2 sort of oval shaped and one boxier, pull them all apart. Test them all and see what you get, if you're in specs plug em back in and look elsewhere, if one is off (in my case not reading anything) according to the manual ranges get a new stator or if its the pickup coil you can just get that but you might as well go ahead and get the whole thing.

This is what I have coming outta the stator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 8
Sorry man, i forgot you said it was a raptor. From what i can see in pics you'll want to test the square plug specifically the green&blue wires for the pickup coil.

No worries. I checked them against each other on 200k, 20k, and 2k ohms and I get nothing.

Yeah i got nothing on my pickup so i just got the whole thing like i said for $90 free shipping took 3 days to get it. I'm happy with it

I'm also wondering if since I've put a new battery in it, if the battery needs to get a full charge overnight and if that would make any difference at all. Since we're checking ohms and not voltage, I'm doubting that will make a difference. Still just trying to figure out why it sitting with a dead battery would cause the coil to die.

Who was the seller? Do you remember? And was it new OEM replacement or used factory stuff?

Also, do you lose all the oil pulling that cover off or does it just keep a little bit in there. I was thinking if I gotta pull the cover to replace the parts about just turning it up on the right side to prevent losing any oil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Rapt...Parts_Accessories&hash=item25761a2ae4&vxp=mtr

got mine from them after asking some of the guys on here if they trust the ebay stuff. so far so good. I would make sure to ask if its tested before they send it out. I've heard of some of them being way off. If i had the money i wouldve gotten something more name brand but im laid off and impatient and just want to ride. Yes you have to drain the oil before taking the cover off.

Man, I'm on the fence about to buy an rmstator coil or get the off brand thing. It's funny that rmstator sells the coils on his site for $39 but on ebay for $18 and free shipping.

What about the oil question I asked you? How much do you lose pulling the cover off?

Back