Bumperz

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You beat me to it on the post. You should be good with the metal etching primer. I used the Napa stuff on my wheels on my truck 12 years ago, and it is still holding up good.

You beat me to it on the post. You should be good with the metal etching primer. I used the Napa stuff on my wheels on my truck 12 years ago, and it is still holding up good.
Ya I went to Lordco (IDK if there down in the states or not) and told the guy I was painting a aluminum rear swing-arm on my quad he said etching primer is the only thing that would stick...

I was very very tired I know the swing-arm is steel. It has rust on it but for some reason I told the guy aluminum, Then looked stupid when I said I needed to get off the rust :haha:

Metal etching primer will work on either steel or aluminum. I would still maybe hit the rust spots with the blaster. Rust will come back if you don't get it cleaned out of there. Between blasting it and the metal etch primer you should be good for years.

Make sure you follow the directions on the primer and paint as far as the flash times are concerned. If you let the primer sit too long, it will "skin over" and the top coat won't stick.

Been there, and it ain't a party. Painted an engine block once, waited a week after etch priming to top coat it (real purdy gloss black DuPont enamel) and it flaked off with a fingernail...

Make sure you follow the directions on the primer and paint as far as the flash times are concerned. If you let the primer sit too long, it will "skin over" and the top coat won't stick.

Been there, and it ain't a party. Painted an engine block once, waited a week after etch priming to top coat it (real purdy gloss black DuPont enamel) and it flaked off with a fingernail...

Thanks for saying that because it says apply the top coat after 30mins and I thought I'd let it try overnight

Overnight probably would be OK. There should be a published minimum and maximum flash time (called "window") on the can.

Schools sand blaster is broken so guess I have to fix it now :argh:

Welcome to the real world!! LOL!! I went to school to be an automotive machinist. Most everywhere I have worked, got to be the plumber, electrition, mechanic, you name it. When a piece of equipment breaks down we get to fix that too. It will be worth it for you to be able to blast the rust off your parts.

Got the sandblaster fixed it was some younger kids who had left paper towels and stuff in the sand which clogged it up. Still not done blasting yet as their was someone who needed to sand blast more than me.

i like how it went from bumpers to swing arms lol, i think i might costomize my bumper over the winter
If you look at my posts enough you'll see that I have a bad habit of derailing threads ;)

I think it is fun, and not boring hijacking threads, more people read it then lol

Latest posts

Back