2-stroke IT490 motor swap

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has to be long.. This motor has "a lot" of compression. It was hard to kick over with the stock kicker. The 465 kicker is actually shorter.

just bolted mine to where the old fender supports go...

98lariet4x4-albums-misc-picture179776-0420121621.jpg

Last edited:
So I figured out where I can put a support, and have a full cut fender..
I'll just make a support, and bolt it on where the grab bar mounts are at the back, and put a bolt threw the top of the fender. That should keep them from flop'n around.

You should see if you can find a banshee rear fender... as it has a releif for the kicker... and im pretty sure it will bolt right up

Last edited:
no i was just saying i think they will acctualy bolt right up except for the 2 rear bolts that go to the bumper that the fender mounts too

Well I might have to hunt down a friend, and steal the rear plastics off his quad.. Just to see if the rear fits.
But just hack'n mine up for now seems reasonable to me? It's just a trail quad, and I don't mind getting muddy.

And no the big bore Yamis "do not" have a decomp (none of them did. Not even the WR500).. It's kinda like kick'n over a CR, but I think the 490 is just a bit tougher. Plus most of the later CR500's had decomps as well.

Last edited:
Throw'n down some (really bright) red paint on my frame today..
Did a light coat so far, then I'm gonna hang it in my garage. Paint the crap out of it, then let it sit a day before I clear it.

I'll post some pics later this evening. :tup:

Ok.. So I went to take some pictures of this thing, and dropped my phone in a pail of oil on the shop floor..
So no pics for a week or so.

But for those who are still following this build, I did get the frame painted. It's all back together now.

I still have a few things to do to the motor before I fire it.

I've also been working on my plastics today.. There all cut, and trimmed. They just need paint.

The next time I post something, it might be a video of this thing running?

you going white on the plastics ??? i hope
Yah.. White all around.
Eventually I'm gonna get a couple of YFM 490 stickers made up to emulate the 87' YZ 490 emblem.

I would like to get a red seat cover to, but my seat cover is brand new. Plus it's a cool seat cover. lol
Maybe in the future?

Back