2-stroke IT490 motor swap

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow heavy bitch and I took it out myself and I'm no he man me weigh a panzy 135 that damn motor almost weighs as much as me lol

Really? I've swapped em in and out (complete top to bottom) by myself. I would have never guessed it'd weigh that much.

Someone yank the motor out of there quad, and steal the scale out of their bathroom without getting caught by the wife..
Then weight that big bitch.. (And I mean the motor, not your wife)

I got my 02 motor out on the bench but its missing the clutch cover and flywheel and stator but I can weigh the head and bottom and get an estimated weight

Daiumn! Never would have thought that. 4 strokes aren't lightweights to begin with. You think that's heavy, the engine in my 300 fourtrax 4x4 prob weighs easily 50lbs more. It has the transfer case and center driveshaft bolted to it.

Dammit! 110 lbs..... i thought it felt kinda heavy. by comparison boys a bare 5.0 ford block weighs 98lbs. If you drop 50 to 60 lbs and add as much power as u think.....can you say yeee-hawww!! now that pig is gunna b down to a decent fighting weight! im a fan...keep us posted!

Dammit! 110 lbs..... i thought it felt kinda heavy. by comparison boys a bare 5.0 ford block weighs 98lbs. If you drop 50 to 60 lbs and add as much power as u think.....can you say yeee-hawww!! now that pig is gunna b down to a decent fighting weight! im a fan...keep us posted!

Well I think of it this way.. A Blaster weighs about 325lbs, and the 200 makes about 20hp.
My warrior should come in around 330lbs, and that 490 makes about 40hp. (and about 35lb-ft of torque) They pull on the bottom end like a 4 stroke.
Couple that with the higher gears, and I could have my hands full.. lol

Last edited:
you cant find a 490 here i have tried
Try to find an older, liquid cooled YZ250 motor..

With a good tune they'll make around 35hp. Plus their a lot more trail friendly than an air cooled motor.

The YZ250 was actually my original choice for doing a swap..
But an IT 490 fell in my lap, and I couldn't pass it up.
The 250 won't have the killer bottom end like a big bore, but it would still flat out haul. Not to mention the weight savings.
If you could find a 250 from the 80's, you could also mix in some Tri-Z parts to keep the cool factor.

The only problem I could see with swapping a liquid cooled motor into a YFM chassis, would be mounting the rad.

Last edited:
yeah i have bin thinking about a yz 250 liquid cooled i have 2 rollers im not using right

yeah i have bin thinking about a yz 250 liquid cooled i have 2 rollers im not using right
Do it up man.. I would like to see that myself. :iagree:

The next build I do is gonna be a YFZ 450 chassis with a YZ250 motor.
(If I can find a good roller to build on) Those chassis's are hard to find in this area because their so popular.

Heres another quick update.
You guys seem a lot more interested in this build, than the guys on E2S. So I'll keep this thread updated as best I can.
I have been working on this kicker problem today. I got the shafts cut, and mocked in place with the kicker. As you can see, it clears the pipe nicely in the neutral position.
(Sorry for the crappy photos guys, my phone kinda sucks)

Kickermod3.jpg

I managed to get a strait cut on the shafts, and with a slug in there they butt up really nice.. We should be able to weld them together strait, and without any problems.

Kickermod4.jpg

But heres the new snag I ran into.
The kicker hits the rear fender right where the mounting bolt to the frame is.. So it looks like I'm gonna have to cut them.. :disgust:
The part I wanna cut is marked out in masking tape. I'll cut to the outside of the tape.
I could use some advice here. I don't want these plastics flapping like a bird in flight when I'm riding, but I really have no choice but to cut them.
Does it look like a good spot to cut them?
Should I just do a full blown race cut? (I don't like that idea though).

Kickermod5.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, Mathius... Best fender supports I can find... Training wheel brackets off a little kids bike...

Back