2-stroke IT490 motor swap

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's not much of an update. But ask, and thou shall receive.

I made up a cardboard template for the mount that'll hold my steady bushing, and tore the motor down.. You have to pull the clutch basket, and flywheel to get the kicker assembly out.
Kickermod.jpg

I have 2 kicker shafts, but I don't really think you can tell the difference between them in the picture?
The 490 kicker has a higher spline count, (which is the shaft on the left) but I'm going to use the 465 kicker, so I'm going with the lower count spline.
I need to build one shaft out of the 2 by cutting the end off the 465 shaft, and welding it to the other shaft.... That sounds kinda dirty.. lol
Kickermod2.jpg

Last edited:
see now this is the kinda stuff like to see ... lol ... thanks for the update keep'em coming

"I need to build one shaft out of the 2 by cutting the end off the 465 shaft, and welding it to the other shaft.... That sounds kinda dirty.. lol"

No crossing swords!

If he hadn't said "that sounds kinda dirty" I wouldn't have even thought of that line from, Two and a Half Men. And yes, I remember most all lines from movies and shows I've seen.

Well most people that have ever thought of making their shaft longer, just take a pill.. Not do a cut, and splice... lmao

But yah, all joke'n aside.. I really hope that the weld on those holds?
The kicker shaft is actually hollow, so I should be able to use a small slug in there to add extra strength..
Theres only one way to find out.
Once I have that kicker finished, I'll be able to fire this old bitch up.

man if this works right im a fan! thumper 2 stroke, torque AND a powerband.....woohoo! and a serious diet for the wardog. keep going man!!!!

I think the welds will be fine because of the support you're putting in. With that the shaft only has to put with more twisting force than downward pressure/leverage. Just burn those welds in good.

^^^i agree. that damn peanut shaped 350 with reverse is a heavy bitch. it actually surprised me when i picked mine up compared to a two stroke.

Well I'm just guess'n.. But I would have to think I dropped easy 50lbs..
The 350 is a really heavy motor.
The 490 tips the scale at a scant 45lbs.. What that equals in total weight savings, I dunno?
But I'll find out when it's all together, and I weigh it. It weighed 385lbs dry before the swap.

I think it weighs more than that? I would think more around 100lbs..
It took 2 of us to lift it out of the frame, and I'm not a wuss.
(Or at least thats what my mom tells me) lmao
So I looked it up..
Most people say 110lbs. Thats the most common number for the weight of a stock (2wd) 348cc Yami 4 poke w/reverse.

Latest posts

Back