Yamaha big bear 400

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiefjay

Reaction score
I acquired this 400 from a nephew, when it was -30 below. The thing looked rough but it started right up. Mind you, that, the thing was hotwired(not stolen).
My nephew needed the money and I could use the wheeler. Man, the damn thing ran once.
Insisting this was my first wheeler to get my hands on and learn the basics of a small motor, I was all in. Except, I have no garage and it was cold as hell outside.
The first thing I did was warm the battery and kiss it up.....jk.
After the weather warmed up a little, I started the 4 wheeler and took it for a quick ride. It died and I just left it be.
In the mean time, I have changed the starter, the starter relay, the carbureter and the coil assembly. Oh yes, I even cleaned the stator. Still, no damn spark.
I googled how to check the 3 wires to the stator to see if their is any resistance or what not, but this is where I'm stuck. WTF am I reading on my OHM reader. The thing does not chirp, its about 10 years old and I'm starting to think that
it might be a ground issue.
When I checked the OHM reading to the coil, there is no reading. When I put the OHM reader to another hot wire(just above the coil) with the ground, that wire reads 12 volts. But the hot wire into the coil is dead.
Does this make sense, is it the stator and what if I replace it and it still doesn't get spark??

I acquired this 400 from a nephew, when it was -30 below. The thing looked rough but it started right up. Mind you, that, the thing was hotwired(not stolen).
My nephew needed the money and I could use the wheeler. Man, the damn thing ran once.
Insisting this was my first wheeler to get my hands on and learn the basics of a small motor, I was all in. Except, I have no garage and it was cold as hell outside.
Just curious. Any updates on your 400?

Just curious. Any updates on your 400?
Yes. I even changed the cdi, although it was a used one, it still didnt start. I might try and change the neutral position switch, than call it quits. Any more ideas?

Sorry, I can't be of any help. What other options you haven't tried yet?

Latest posts

Back