Working with PowderCoat

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridinfast03

Reaction score
Hey all, has anyone had to touch up some spots on their frame that has been PC'd? Just a couple of the welds have started showing a bit of rust and stands out like a sore thumb on a white frame.

Getting some paint that matches and touching it up by hand is really the only way that I know of. You can't really touch it back up with powder coat. Regular paint will probably be better in those areas anyways. The frames on warriors are supposed to have some flex, so the chipping is going to happen, and more so with powder coat because it's thicker and less flexible.

Thats what I thought man, I didn't think you could just have a PC shop touch it up. Im just going to hit with some spray can and clear it again I think.

Yamarider do you think if I have my shock springs blaster and then PC'd that it would in any way damage them?

It shouldn't really damage them. Springs are pretty sensitive to heat though, and the parts get baked pretty hard in the pc process so maybe there is a chance of the heat making them more brittle and less flexible. I'm not sure.

I don't know if powdercoating is a good choice for springs though. I'm not an absolute expert on this, but I know we never tried to pc the springs on the sprint cars because we were worried that because powdercoat doesn't flex like paint, it would crack and peel off from the spring flexing. With the race cars we just left the springs the original colors.

Now, if you're intent on coloring the springs, my cousin had good luck with krylon fusion paint on the springs on his quad. Fusion is actually intended for plastic, but it works well for anything that is flexible primarily because it has an extra agent in it that allows the paint to flex more, so it doesn't crack or lose surface adhesion. It probably won't be as chip resistant as the original factory paint, but his springs only developed a few little chips in a year.

Right on that definately is a thought, and I got some black fusion that would work nice in the Gee-rage. I emailed Works Suspension about three weeks ago on this subject and have yet hear back from them.

Back