Workin on it

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave76

Reaction score
Needs quite a few more hours of polishing
Picture150.jpg

Picture149.jpg

i think we need to ride soon!!!

lookin sickk... cant wait to see her done!!

LOOKS good!!! what are you using to get off the gray coat sand paper or what? and once you put it on what keep's it from rusting?

yeah what he said ^^^ becuase ive been looking into doing this except i want to do the whole bottem end. still thinking about it though.

It aluminum so it wont rust... but its very hard to keep this thing from going dull. After every ride it needs to be repolished. So you may want to look into some type of clearcoat. Just from my experience, this is also why i didnt polish my whole cover, just the round part that sticks out.
But it looks great, so far so good.

I used a wire wheel on a 25000RPM grinder to remove the paint. It sucks, I rather pay someone to do this, thats about 2 hrs worth of work already.

I've polished a ton of stuff....sportbike frames and swingarms, valve covers, wheels, etc. The best way to strip it is aircraft stripper. You'll have to coat it a couple of times for it to work, but you're not adding any work for yourself later (scratches and gouges from grinding off powdercoating). Once the powdercoat is off, start sanding. You'll want to work your way down to 2000 grit. Once at 2000, you can pretty much use Mothers and make it shine, but you want to do better than that. Visit the Eastwood company and get one of their kits that includes the buffs and compounds for the job. Start with a rough wheel and the emery compound and buff like crazy. Then go to a softer wheel and use the tripoli compound. Finally use the white rouge and a soft wheel and it will shine like chrome when you're done, which all in all will take quite a few hours. And for the record, clear coat will not stick. It's like trying to paint glass, it's just not porous enough to adhere once it's polished. The only option you could try is having it powdercoated clear, that may work. Looking good so far, but you still have a lot of work ahead of you.

Looks good dave. I have my stock cover still. I thought about doing some polish work to it. Then I talked myself out of it since I got a chrome one already.

Looks good dave. I have my stock cover still. I thought about doing some polish work to it. Then I talked myself out of it since I got a chrome one already.
I know, don't rub it in.lol I want to chrome it too.

Pulled both engine covers, brake cover, throttle cover, oil filter cover yesterday and sandblasted them today. Very fine blast and worked great. Just getting started on the polishing and looking great. I've done this many times before with snowmobiles. I recommend getting a polishing kit to save you alot of time and hard work. Use a high rpm drill of some sort and of course mothers.

Back