Won't start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake70

Reaction score
Hey guys more problems on the bike... So my brother has the same bike and his starts right up Everytime. Mine on the other hand... I can try turning it over until the battery is dead it hasnt started right up in over 6 months I always find myself popping the clutch. I just changed the plug changed the oil and just put a uni filter on. I should also mention that when I bought it the guy told me the choke is broke. What things can I do for it to start right up... New battery? (mine is barely a year old)... New starter solenoid? Help?!

Is it jetted right with the new filter? What are your jets?

I haven't touched the jets everything is stock. I just put the new filter on last night. This has been a problem for a long time even when I had the stock filter. Sometimes it seems like there just isn't enough "crank" for it to start.

Sounds like if you can start it by popping the clutch then it's the stator.

Check all your plastic wire connection I had the same issue I cleaned mine and it would fire right up. But what was already said it could be the stator if you do find that to be the issue I have a brand new stator I will sell you cheap.

Check all your plastic wire connection I had the same issue I cleaned mine and it would fire right up. But what was already said it could be the stator if you do find that to be the issue I have a brand new stator I will sell you cheap.

how much for the stator? and where are you in ohio? i could meet you or drive to you so we dont have to mess with shipping if thats an option

How do I check to see if the stator is bad?

To test the stator, you need a multimeter, set it to ohms, and test the resistance of the stator, pulser, and pickup coils inside the left side engine cover. How well does it turn over? Does it sound like it has some compression and sound similar to your brother's? Or does it sound a little faster? Being able to pop start it, but not with the starter is a typical symptom of low engine compression. That is easier to test then the stator & coils. Providing you have, or can get use of, a compression tester.

The general rule of thumb for 4 stroke engines, is a minimun of 120psi of compression. But, there are bikes that will start and run on less. It all depends on the bike. Optimum is around 150psi.

And yes, despite what people will tell you, an engine can have low compression (therefore needing pop starting), and not smoke once started.

The bike will try to start, and flood fast (i think float may get stuck). Every now and again you'll get the clicking like a dead battery trying to start it. His bike used to smoke a good amount so a compression test is probably our next step. He just ordered the driveline clutch today as well.

My **** ain't never smoked. The only thing it has done is backfired like a sum bitch when I shut it off haha

Could my not be putting off enough cold crank amps?

The bike will try to start, and flood fast (i think float may get stuck). Every now and again you'll get the clicking like a dead battery trying to start it. His bike used to smoke a good amount so a compression test is probably our next step. He just ordered the driveline clutch today as well.

This happened to me when I took it to eastern wa (snow, freezing temp), and it did everything you mentioned there.. I had to rejet.

Did rejetting fix the problem? What size jets did you use?

Back