wont start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior333

Reaction score
well heres my problem when i hit the start button the quad klicks like the battery is dead. its new and it shouldnt be dead cuz i only ran it for like 10 min. I got it all back together today and went to ride and it would sputter in the higher rpms i figure thats just valve issues but its been raing all day here and i was rideing it and when thrrogh a puddle went up a small hill then down a hill into a big puddle went about 25 ft and it just shut off wont turn over. i heard that if you stick a screw driver between the 2 bolts on the startor solenoid it should turn it over but when i did that nothing happend. so i check to make sure the motor would turn over and it would. I also tired to jump start it but it wont and it doesnt feel right when trying to do it that way cuz it doesnt fire or anything. any input welcomed

Ok.. I'd try jumping right to the starter... if you get nothing.. it's junk. If it turns over fine look below.
To check the battery you'll need a meter. You can pick one up from radio shack for 10 bucks. I would check static voltage of your battery.. fully charged is 12.65v or somewhere in that range. Then once you get it started check your charging voltage.. should be 14.5 or so.. no less.
My guess is you replaced the battery thinking that it kept going dead on it's own.. really it's because the stator or the rectifier is junk and the charging system isn't doing it's job. When the stator goes out the bike tends to run like that.. studder.

ok so how do i jump straigh to the starer and ill go check the battery right now

I'm guessing the starter is junk.. on top of the starter there is a rubber boot, slide that back and you'll see the cable and nut.. put the ground to the frame and the postive to the starter terminal. See if she turns over.

ok let me make sure i understand i take the ground off of the 8mm bolt on the motor and set it on the frame or what then i take the wire off of the solenoid and and attach it to the positive on the battery isnt this what im basically doing by connecting the two terminals on the solenoid

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying... grammer
But yes if you took a screw driver across the terminals of the solenoid then it's about pretty much the same thing as just putting the jumper cable to the postive side of the starter. But by doing that you've elimated all the wires and solenoid. The starter wire could have high resistance or when you put the screw driver across the terminals didn't make a good contact.. pretty much you would elimate all that **** and then you could for sure determine that it is for sure the starter, if it doesn't turn or turns very slowly.

ok let me make sure i understand i take the ground off of the 8mm bolt on the motor and set it on the frame or what then i take the wire off of the solenoid and and attach it to the positive on the battery isnt this what im basically doing by connecting the two terminals on the solenoid

Nope.. First put you ground cable to the frame.. or foot peg. Next you pull the rubber boot off of the top of the starter nut, just slide it back to expose the terminal. Put the postive lead to the terminal and the starter should turn over if it doesn't then it's junk.

Cable = jumper cables

thanx for all the help but i still dont undestand the straight hook up thing im missing something so i connect the starter wire to the positive batery teminal and take the ground off of the motor and hook it to the frame some how then if it turns over then whats good or bad if you dont understand what im saying for some reason tell me what you dont get and ill try to say it different or something

No bud.. If you jumping from say a car battery to your warrior battery with jumper cables! So instead of jumping to the battery you'll jump to the starter with jumper cables. If the starter doesn't turn over don't hold the jumpers on there long.

You know what.. just take your meter and check voltage at the starter when you hit the starter button.. you should have 10v or so. haha I should have said this first as it may have been easier.

ok i get it now wow i dont see how i didnt get all that before what should i put the voltage meeter on like what setting to check that just to double check because im worried about shorting it out i take jumper cables to a working battery then connect the poitive directly to the starter and the negative to the foot peg i missed the cable=jumper cables and could i use a battery charge with a engine start feature on it? thank you alot for all this help

Yup... ok now were starting to understand eachother! :)
Same as before for the meter. DC voltage "direct current" or the stright sold line and the straight dotted line symbol on the meter.
The cranking voltage should be no less then 9 volts or so. All you have to do is put the red lead on where the wire connects to the starter. Then ground your lead on the foot peg. Check that and tell me what you come up with.
You can use that as long as it has enough amps to turn the starter over...

the starter doesnt turn over i dont think the starter gets power but ill check it so i put the meter on dc and put + to starter and - to footpeg then hit start button and see what i get

ok well i got it to start i dont know what i did but i wen to check that and i pushed the button it klicked then i left off and tried again and it started so im not sure of what to do now cuz im supposed to go rideing tmr and its really wet here i think im gonna go start it and soak it with the hose and see what happens

i tired letting it idle and spray it down with hot hose water just because the cold is still turned off andnothing happend it ran like a champ well as good as it ever has

mmm... yeah this just got a lot harder. All the connections tight on the battery and no **** on them?

yes and yes like i said its got 10 min on it at the absolute most 20 the only thing i can think of is mabey some of the stator connections got water in them but that wouldnt keep it from starting

Back