Wolverine advice

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a new 09 Wolverine but had a couple of questions. I'm coming off an LTZ 400 with a pipe and jet kit. The bike is pretty quick. I've read alot about the Wolverine being on the slow side. Does anyone have any personal experience on how the power output of the LTZ would compare to the Wolverine? Thanks for any help.

I ride a honda 400ex. The wolvy cant really keep up. But sure tries its best.I actually prefer the wolvy for trail riding. Has more than enough punch to keep up or out do in woods. Straight aways no comparison

I'll take a stab at this with the caveat that my experience on wolverines is limited to test rides. The Z400 however I have some time on. The LTZ 400 will have a lot more top end speed and if you spend most of your ride time on open logging roads and the like you will probably miss it. By moving to a wolverine you will also lose some of that spring off the start with front end off the ground feel of power. The Z400 is also 144lbs lighter. Though it has plenty of torque the extra weight of the wolverine combined with the automatic transmission and larger tires will make it feel less responsive to the press of the throttle.

Are you still reading? Those same larger tires and 4wd on the wolverine will get you through muddy ruts and rocky hills that would be near impossible on a LTZ. There are just some things that no amount of speed will get you through. For tight trails and woods the wolverine has plenty of speed to stay with the sport bikes and the Automatic Transmission becomes an advantage when a slow approach to a difficult obstruction is called for. It all comes down to your riding style. I enjoy technical challenges and exploration more than jumping and seat of your pants speed. This is why I am in the market for a Wolverine.

Thanks for the responses guys.JRoyV I was thinking the same way you are. Gave it alot of thought and decided to get a Can Am Renegade 500.What the heck you only live once, do what you like-like what you do. Good luck with your search for a Wolverine.

Have fun with it, the Renegades are by all reports very fun machines. Two things steered me away from the Renegades:
First and foremost the Money the Renegade was just more than I wanted to spend.
The second size:

Renegade: 86 x 46 x 45 in / 614 lb
Wolverine: 77.9 x 41.9 x 43.1 in /516 lbs

But again this was for me as I ride in some very tight trails. For most the power and ground clearance of the Renegade probably make up for the added size... academic for me as the cost was out of my reach.

Edit: I have to add that there is no used marked for the Renegades around where I live. In that their hasn't been a single used renegade for sale in the past two months. So the cost difference is more pronounced. Other areas might be different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back