Wiring aftermarket lights

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dte825

Reaction score
If you buy the bullet style lights, can you splice them directly into the stock headlight wires so that you can use the stock light switches. I'm not really down with the extra toggle or rocker switches strapped to the bars. And if you put a dual wattage bulb in the new lights, can you still use the high/low switch?

yes you can wire them directly into the existing wiring harness. just make sure the wattage doesnt exceed the capacity of the charging system (55w each i think). not sure about the bulbs, i dont see why they wouldnt work though.

I have been researching this as well trying to decide what I want to do about headlight replacements. I have read a lot of threads on it and have seen people say 35w is the stock headlight wattage. I have not looked at my manual or really confirmed that though. I think I read Dave say somewhere that his were 35w which was the stock wattage. I have also read some other people say they had no problems going up to 50 or 55, but that could be pushing the stock charging system. I am still undecided what I am going to do.

55watts will work fine on the stock charging system but it does have a slight effect on it.... you can tell its drawing power. But i never had any problems using mine for an hour or so at a time.

I ran 55 watt foglights on my warrior for a good year with no problems.

ive also heard somwhere that our magneito can produce 100 watts more than told but it wears the magneito out and makes it fail pretty fast if you put on too much of a load and thats why your suppoed to use 100 watts less then it can produce

but im not sure if thats true

[quote:wu8dl43l]What about the hi/low switch? Does it work?
It depends if you bought hi low beam lites, most likely not. So hook up the low beam wires and abandon the hi beam wires.[/quote:wu8dl43l]
Got it. Thanks.

[quote:cdm5r1un]
It depends if you bought hi low beam lites, most likely not. So hook up the low beam wires and abandon the hi beam wires.
Got it. Thanks.[/quote:cdm5r1un]

Plus the sockets would need to be wired for hi/low beams. If you go with 50 or 55 watt lights you will have plenty of light. My 55 watt fog lights with the yellow light gave me all the light I could ever need on my old warrior. I also just hooked them up to the low beam wire.

That's not bad. I think I want to get some smaller lamps though. Can't decide whether to keep them in the stock spot or put them up on the bars so your shining where your steering. My only hold up on that though is what happens when your slidin' through a turn and steering in the other direction?

Back