why wont it start???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timing chain??? how much is that gonna cost? soinds like it could be alot :-/

Timing chains cost about $30 for a good DID. The stock ones are pretty crappy, my warrior is a 2001 and the stock chain was already stretched out near the limit of the tensioner when I rebuilt it over the winter.

I would put that at the end of the list. I just read this thread for the first time.

You need 3 things for your engine to run
1)ignition
2)compression and timing -one in the same
3)fuel

You have tried to start it with starting fluid and it did not fire. So take the carb out temporarily. You can check timing and your valves at the same time with timing mark on fly wheel at correct location, check line on upper timing chain sprocket. It should face up to point at top of port. Although it probably wont fix issue, couldn't hurt to set valves while this area is open.

If timing is correct, then remove rear plastic and check harness where it goes around frame to cdi. You will need to unplug both plugs from cdi and pull harness back a bit so about a foot is free. Inspect--design flaw with Warriors--harness rubs frame and wears insulation off, resulting in wires grounding out to frame. This happens more often than you could imagine. If that all looks good, then a new pickup coil under your stator cover would be the most likely culprit.

In all the threads I have read -everyone that tried a new cdi didn't fix the problem. Its possible, but awful expensive if your not sure.

i tried the push start thing....what is th ething under the hood that the spark plug boot connects to?

i tried the push start thing....what is th ething under the hood that the spark plug boot connects to?

thats your ignition coil

Did you pull off your rear plastic and inspect the harness?

it makes this really loud rapid clicking now when i hit the starter.

I had the same sound, clean off you battery terminals and cable really good. Solved my problem.

im gonna check the harness tomorro wheni get the chance

i checked the harness and no problems there. what is the box located to the left of the CDI??? i still think the problem is the CDI and i found one for $96

not sure but did u check the terminals going into the battery? Mine were coroded and it helped to clean. Otherwise I really can't help you with electronics, sorry.

i dont think the terminals have anything to do with it becaue the bike is still getting power other than spark (lights, starter motor). ill clean them cuz they are kinda nasty but i dont think that will help

i cleaned the terminals and i also tried looking at the harness again this time with the back plastic off. unfortunatley, the asshole that decided to put the screws under the battery failed to use common sense....the ****** screws have been subjected to battery acid for who knows how long (befor ei got it) and they crumbled in the socket. now i dont have a socket that fits tem because they are 9.5 mm big. anybody know how ican get those screws out???

My dad kept telling me to clean them to, I did not listen to him thinking "it starts why would it be the terminals, it has to be my cdi or some other electric ****" no lie, my lights worked too, my engine even started, than one day I had to shut it off on the road and it would not start (yes I had to push my fourwheeler through my subdivision) until after I cleaned everything really good. Are you talking about the bolts underneath the battery connecting the plastic to the frame? Are the heads completley destroyed? If they are I would take a chisel and whack the scew so it turns, making it turn loose so you can put a pair of visegrips on them. Or even easier (if you have a long enough bit) drill the heads off, and you should still have enough bolt to grab onto once you pull the plastic off with a visegrips, basically read the tutoriol on removing stuck bolts/ stripped bolts.

thx....i cleaned the terminals and that other **** and still nothin but i dont have the CDI cuz my dad has it...

well let me know if this helps at all, atleast you are eliminating one possibility at a time. Electronics are scary, way to much are put into chips and are way to complex.

i talked to my friend and he also said it was probably the stator...sooooo now i think im gonna get a new stator if the coil is ok.

Back