Why is my new clutch slipping in 3rd gear?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonMcM

Reaction score
I cant find anything like my problem so I figured i'd try here. I picked up a 87 Warrior with a burnt out clutch. I bought a new clutch for it from Tusk. This was my 1st time changing a clutch but I am pretty handy with fixing my own toys. I dont want to have to tear it down again.

So my problem is, now with the new clutch, every gear except 3rd gear works great. 3rd gear jumps in & out of gear. Its not like its slipping, just either in gear or not. If I baby it, it doesnt do it as often but does still do it. I tried adjusting the clutch but had no improvement. Oil level is good & I used Valvoline 20w50 super wet clutch oil. The only thing I can think of is that I did not properly torque the clutch springs to 6lbs, but could that be the reason? Thanks for any help

I did soak the clutch for about 8 hrs before the install & then it soaked for a day after the install. No oil cooler

Hmm, a oil cooler helps with shifting, but it sounds like something is out of wack, it will only do it in 3rd? Does the clutch slip or does it kick out of gear?

Yeah this only happens in 3rd & its not really slipping out of gear, its jumping in and out. It doesnt stay out of gear for long, it will jump out and jump right back in. If i gas it, it happens constantly but if I baby it, it happens like very 3-4 seconds

Ok now how exactly do I adjust it? Just turn the linkage ends? Looks pretty simple but wanna make sure before I break anything

Back