Why do you hate CVTs soo much.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I want to get a 2nd quad and alot of my choices have CVT trannys. Alot of people seem to hate them and I was wondering why? All snowmobiles have them and I love the one on my 03 Yamaha Viper (700cc 2 stoke triple). I can get max engine power instantly at any time at any speed 100% of the time and there are no mis shifts, false neutrals or wrong gear choices. It seems like the perfect transmission and is extremely consistent.
I was hoping you guys could tell me why they dont work well on quads (or why they do) as Im new to this game and test rides dont exist here in Chitown. Thanks for all input.

Why i hate Auto tranny's?

Lack of power from the get go.

Not to mention on all auto quad i have seen if you dunk them in water/mud they slip like crazy (im assuming your going for utility)

They eat up your power, create excess heat right by your leg, take up space so your riding position isn't comfortable, make annoying whining sounds, and they generally just take a lot of the fun out of riding. For a beginner they're ok I guess, but at one time I had a quad with CVT and i'd never buy another one, it takes the sport out of riding and makes it boring real quick.

the other night i was riding with some 4x4s and i jumped on a kodiak and i actually enjoyed it the no shifting was lame but with the 4x4 and low range i was going all over the place. but it all depends on what riding conditions your mainly in

after this year im going to sell off the raptor and either get a new wolverine or find a good used 660 grizz

all of the big bore utilitys are CVT ex[ect for a rincon, cvts are fine, yamarider they do not have a lack of power fro mthe get go, your may have but non of the big bore utilitys do, only way to belt slips is if your in water/mud over the belt intake or exhaust, then you just snorkel it.

A cvt is less efficient at putting the power to the ground than a traditional manual tranny. Two equal quads, one with a cvt and one with a manual, the manual will be faster. You may think cvts are fine on your sled with a huge amount of horsepower but when you only have 20hp to work with you will hate the cvt.

CVT serve their purpose as a good work and slow speed tranny. If you use a utility quad for pulling stuff or crawling over obstacles they are great. I rode a polaris 500 sportsman and it was fine but I still prefer my 6 speed. There are positives and negatives to both from a technical aspect. My preference for a manual is based on my opinion that they are more fun to drive. I have more fun and feel more in control with my 6 speed rather than a CVT.

People can argue all they want but in the end it come down to what you like........

my dad has an 05 grizzly and i would say that baby definitely puts the power to the ground pretty damn good for a 600 pound machine... it can beat my raptor, my friends raptor (350 also), and my other firends warrior in a drag pretty easily... and i dont know about the whole CVT tranny thing but its been dunked in some deep muddy water a few times and doesnt have any signs of slipping plus the entire quad has been frozen solid with snow to the point the wheels dont spin and it still works like a charm today... but yes i would agree its not as fun as shifting

Back