Who's added grease fitting to their carrier?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2xtreme

Reaction score
I want to add a grease fitting to the carrier before we reassemble everything.

WHo else has done this?

Did you only drill through the carrier, or through the spacer too?

Looking to do this int he next couple of days, so any info is greatly appreciated.

Specifically I'm not sure. But it sure cant hurt the next time ya wanna take it apart to change the bearings.....................

If ya use stock bearings. The grease will push through them from the center as you fill it up.
Alot of aftermarket bearings are sealed and greasing the carrier wont do much if anything for them without removing the seal, which just pulls out. Thats what I did with mine.

My carrirer is most likely almost filled with grease. Its most likly over kill. I only did it 2 years ago. So I'm unsure of how much it helps..............I do know if ya fill the carrier to much it weeeepssss
grease out of the seals.. Along with some water and such.

So I figure fresh lube cant hurt over a sealed up bearing that can never taste some fresh grease. Time will tell..........

i put one in mine and it was so easy to replace my bearings compared to my buddys banshee without a fitting

I put one on my carrier and more importantly one on my swingarm for those damn needle bearings!!

Thanks for the input, but none of it answers my question.

The spacer is basically a sleeve inside the carrier. If I only drill/tap the carrier, the grease will have to travel the length of the spacer before it any of it gets to the bearings.

If I drill/tap both (whitch seems like the logical option) the grease will go directly to the center of the carrier and fill it up. BUT the spacer will have to be located dead on when drilling/tapping.

Any more input? Hoping to start this tonight.

The spacer spins with the axle, so I don't see how you're going to be able to drill that so the grease gets into it. I don't know if the grease would go through it anyways though, because it's flat up against the inside of the bearings when everything is assembled, so the grease wouldn't be getting to the moving parts of the bearing. It seems like you'd have to pump a hell of a lot of grease into that carrier before any of it ever touched the bearings, so i don't know what to say other than to just tap the carrier and pump it full of grease.

OK, thanks.

I did not realize the spacer turned with the axle.

So I will just drill/tap the carrier.

I'm pretty sure the spacer is just ther to sqyare everything up on the bearings.
So you can tighten it all up without pushing the bearings outta the race.

Thanks for the input, but none of it answers my question.

The spacer is basically a sleeve inside the carrier. If I only drill/tap the carrier, the grease will have to travel the length of the spacer before it any of it gets to the bearings.

If I drill/tap both (whitch seems like the logical option) the grease will go directly to the center of the carrier and fill it up. BUT the spacer will have to be located dead on when drilling/tapping.

Any more input? Hoping to start this tonight.

Grease will travel faster than you think, a couple pumps will travel to all areas of the carrier in no time, so just drill and tap the carrier.

Latest posts

Back