who runs the Web 430 cam and do you like it?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvvette97

Reaction score
I currently have the hotcam stage 1 and was thinking of going with a web 430 cam 84 grind number. I am wanting more mid range and top end pull. I already have the performance spring kit installed. I was doing a search on here and seen a guy had trouble with the 430 cam lobe hitting the head. Then again he said he had a big bear head on his machine. You guys that run the 430 did you have any problem with the lobe hitting the head any place?

Well thats why you check your deck height to make sure you have piston clearance. And his lobe pushes your valves theres no way your lobe will hit your piston but the valve will..

More than likely you'll need to remove some material in the head to clear the bigger cam lobes most of the bigger cams need more clearance in the head

Got one setting on my work bench with an adjustable timing gear. Just waiting for a day to install it.
I'm running a Web 88 right now. And I love that thing.

More than likely you'll need to remove some material in the head to clear the bigger cam lobes most of the bigger cams need more clearance in the head
can this be done with the head on the machine? Like stuff a rag in there to catch the filings? I have some porting tools that should be able to reach in there with no problem.

I wouldn't! I'd take the head off!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk
Damn! I just put the head back on lastnight. If I get a larger cam and have to grind any I will figure out a way to do it without removing the head. I would think a rag covered in grease would work to catch all the filings.

can this be done with the head on the machine? Like stuff a rag in there to catch the filings? I have some porting tools that should be able to reach in there with no problem.

You can, IF!!!! You do this. Put a plastic plug in the inner cam bearing, shove a rag in the timing chain passageway, do your best to wrap a rag around the valves, run a vacuum the ENTIRE time you are removing material. That is the ONLY way to "safely" try remove material on a head tha is on an engine. And, afterwards, vacuum it all with a rubber hose shoved in the vacuum nosle to get in all the tight spaces. Lastly, pour a WHOLE quart of oil through the head to wash any left over debris into the crankcase (leave drain plug out).

You can try it if you want. I wouldn't. But, not my bike. Don't blame me if it gets screwed up.

If I were you, get a Mega .415 and call it a day.

You can, IF!!!! You do this. Put a plastic plug in the inner cam bearing, shove a rag in the timing chain passageway, do your best to wrap a rag around the valves, run a vacuum the ENTIRE time you are removing material. That is the ONLY way to "safely" try remove material on a head tha is on an engine. And, afterwards, vacuum it all with a rubber hose shoved in the vacuum nosle to get in all the tight spaces. Lastly, pour a WHOLE quart of oil through the head to wash any left over debris into the crankcase (leave drain plug out).

You can try it if you want. I wouldn't. But, not my bike. Don't blame me if it gets screwed up.

If I were you, get a Mega .415 and call it a day.

Wont he still need head work with the mega .415 ?

Not really. Get the most out of it with head work? Yes... But, the stock head is said to flow up to .400 lift cams. The little bit of lift "left over" with the 415 may not be TOO noticable.

Ofcourse, duration has a lot to do with how well a head will flow with what cam, and what porting it is, if any.

Not really. Get the most out of it with head work? Yes... But, the stock head is said to flow up to .400 lift cams. The little bit of lift "left over" with the 415 may not be TOO noticable.

Thanks pat I didn't know that. I thought I read some thing different but I'm sure your right!:tup:

well I have to tear the engine back down due to sucking dust in past the air filter and damaging the rings so where do I need to clearence the head for the lobes? would be the perfect time since the head will be off.

Back