what to look out for in a warrior ¿?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toreadorranger

Reaction score
im going to look at a 2001 warrior pretty soon and need to know what to look out for. i have owned 3 other quads, non of them being yamaha's so i need to know specifics not general stuff. ive had a 94 300ex, 91 250x, and 90 suzuki quad sport by the way. ok back to the question. are there certain noises that warriors make that i should be ok with or not ok with and such. i realize i will give the whole quad a look over check the bearings and such.

Listen for a clunking sound when you start it. It's not a real bad thing. The bike will still work fine. It just means the needle bearing in the starter is wearing away.
good luck

Well warriors have very-very big valves so that leads to some normal valve train noise when they warm up (don’t be alarmed). Other then that just check around the drive sprocket to make sure there are no lashes in the case and check out the header pipe studs to see if they tapped the head at one time or another (they like to weld themselves in there). Then just check for blue smoke and the normal things you would look for on any quad. I don’t see bearings as a huge issue they are cheap and easy to do yourself. Other then the above and blatantly obvious things you can come up with that you would pick up on as you check the machine out a warrior is a pretty rock solid machine (it has been around forever).

Um about the only thing I know of that is a common problem are the valves tick rather loudly. Mine were adjusted about a week ago, and they did quiet down some but not much. Other then that you know this quads have been around for almost 2 generations and are bullet proof. You seem like you've been around them for some time now so you know what else to look for. Although asking them if they will go in half on a mechanic inspection is never a bad idea.

well the warrior im going to look at, seems to be in decent shape in the pictures the guy sent me so thats good, the one thing i was concerned about is that its a 2001 and he only wants $500 for it. my first reaction was that it was stolen or crashed. but the guy has been nothing but nice and says it he has the title and that it hasnt been crashed. he says the price is so low cause he has been trying to sell and he lives out in the middle of no where so he was hoping the low price would encourage people who are out of range of driving to ship it. he also said it was just tuned up right before he listed the ad. so im going to be extra careful about inspecting the quad. ill make sure i check for legiable vins and that sort. anyother ideas given the situation. is it possible to get the vin and then call a yamaha dealership, to make sure its correct? and would a dealership know if it was stolen? the price wants me to say it is but the guys help so far and the fact he has the keys and title says it isnt.

Well warriors have very-very big valves so that leads to some normal valve train noise when they warm up (don’t be alarmed). Other then that just check around the drive sprocket to make sure there are no lashes in the case and check out the header pipe studs to see if they tapped the head at one time or another (they like to weld themselves in there). Then just check for blue smoke and the normal things you would look for on any quad. I don’t see bearings as a huge issue they are cheap and easy to do yourself. Other then the above and blatantly obvious things you can come up with that you would pick up on as you check the machine out a warrior is a pretty rock solid machine (it has been around forever).

the only reason i mention the bearings was cause i bought my 300ex off ebay (first quad) and it was in NC so i couldnt see it first. (my mistake) when i got the quad i had to replace all the bearings and some other small stuff. the bearings were bad too. i could move either tire up or down about an inch. so i got ripped once so im pretty anal about checking this stuff now.( guy also didnt tell me his 12 year old couldnt handle the quad and hit a tree with it hence why he was selling, pics didnt show damage) not to mention he shipped the quad on a full gas tank, the trucker was not happy about that when it spilled all over his truck. so all in all the 300ex was a a learning experience and just dont want to go through that again.

The startor noise as mentioned above. Also: engine supports tend to crack, and the intake rubber boot, between the carb and the engine tend to slice/crack. Nothing very expensive, but always good to know.

Look the frame over close, mine was a little damaged from hitting a tree when I bought it, then it twisted pretty bad, and it woulda cost me 1500 if my dealer wasn't cool and replaced the frame for free. I already had to replace the starter bearings in mine which was about 350, so that's definitely good to check for that clunking sound when it starts up and stops.

The startor noise as mentioned above. Also: engine supports tend to crack, and the intake rubber boot, between the carb and the engine tend to slice/crack. Nothing very expensive, but always good to know.

I have owned my Warrior for 5 years and ride in 100*F and -10*F temperatures, have done extensive mods, hit many jumps, whoop sections, rhythms, and have flipped MANY times and not once have I ever had a mount break on me. I am not sure but I think that has something to do with the other mounts not being tight enough/missing or to tight.

well the warrior im going to look at, seems to be in decent shape in the pictures the guy sent me so thats good, the one thing i was concerned about is that its a 2001 and he only wants $500 for it. my first reaction was that it was stolen or crashed. but the guy has been nothing but nice and says it he has the title and that it hasnt been crashed. he says the price is so low cause he has been trying to sell and he lives out in the middle of no where so he was hoping the low price would encourage people who are out of range of driving to ship it. he also said it was just tuned up right before he listed the ad. so im going to be extra careful about inspecting the quad. ill make sure i check for legiable vins and that sort. anyother ideas given the situation. is it possible to get the vin and then call a yamaha dealership, to make sure its correct? and would a dealership know if it was stolen? the price wants me to say it is but the guys help so far and the fact he has the keys and title says it isnt.

All you have to do is get the VIN and call up your local police station or show up at one and ask them to check and see if it was reported stolen (they love to do this ****). A 2001 is a great year! It is the last year that the Dyna Tech Programmable CDIs will work on (mine is a 2001)!

well it turns out that i think that warrior was stolen cause as soon as i asked for the vin so i could check it the guy stoped communicting with me, oh well ill keep looking.

Latest posts

Back