What to do????

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam4by4

Reaction score
I have an 87 warrior that I just aquired thru a lil bit of wheelin dealin. It runs great , only thing wrong with it is the rear shock is blown! Im a big guy Ive been looking into the raptor (01) rear shock. All bullshit aside Im not sure if its worth dropping all my cash into (the quad not the shock) Ive always wanted more along the lines of a 250r for some reason but I like my electric start and reverse. Ive seen some of the sweet ass warriors on here and they get my gears turning. If lets say I drop 3 grand into my warrior 400 kit exhaust carb shocks all the way around . Will it be anywhere close in power and fun factor as lets say a 250r lt250 or newer 450s?
I will mostly be trail riding in michigan with a few track days here and there (mx indoor) what do you guys think? Oh yeah im 6'0 250

Yes-do it but be aware that the 87 is more of a challenge because that there are not as many parts available.Motor mods-no prob but longer a-arms for the 87 do not exist,along with some other minor stuff.Most products for the later years will work,but you better make sure first.Otherwise go for it-the 87 has a lot of things going for it.Any ???? we will help you here.

Good luck ;)

Thanks for the good confidence vote! I think Im gonna do it! Where do we start??? I plan on riding it this season stock except for thr raptor shock. First move will be strip it down and check the frame and maybe paint it (saves money for go fast goodys) Ill then get on the motor/ trans make sure those are up to the task and run the alba 400 kit. new clutch pref hydrolic! new carb/ k&n set up. then swingarm keep stock or extend??? stock seems ok to me! Noboday makes a-arms for the 87 huh?? maybe Ill pick up an aftermarket set and fab them onto the frame! then front susp??? Maybe raptor all around! Once again im a fat guy so I need the extra ride height because when I sit on it it will be normal(or will they still need be set up to my weight?) Then those damn gold rims must go!!! Maybe some razors or holeshots on polished alum rims beadlocked! new handlebars and a little gearing change lets say drop a tooth on the front jump a tooth on the back! I want it to have all balls down low and still be able to stretch its legs when needed What do you think so far? Again theese are just brainstorming ideas so any suggestions would be great . Thanks for putting up with my rambling on and such but im sure you all know how it is!

JC
How fast is your warrior compared to a 250r or newer 400?? One of my buds just picked up a 250r for 2000$ and that thing rips pretty good! If I could get the warrior anywhere near that Id be a happy camper!!

I know a guy with a warrior that has the same mods as me, except he still has the stock carb, and he has a hotcam, and he was whoopin up on a z400 the other day.

JC
How fast is your warrior compared to a 250r or newer 400?? One of my buds just picked up a 250r for 2000$ and that thing rips pretty good! If I could get the warrior anywhere near that Id be a happy camper!!

Quick enough in the tight desert/tree/woods stuff that I like-and not to quick to kill my ass.All the bulk of it is really nice on the Beach runs

I got a little ahead of myself today and noticed I neede new bearings for the rear of my new whore! Once I got them out I went down and ordered them for $21.00 with seals both sides. Since the whole rear is down I decided might as well tear out the swing arm and after 2hrs with a wire brush I decided to prime it(3 light coats) then paint it metallic silver (2nd coat drying 3rd going on tomorrow night) Shes looking bad ass! I know it may not hold up that well but it looks much much better! Now Im thinking time to give the a-arms the same treatment tomorrow. What do you guys think about a red framed red motor with black flames along the sides(of the motor) with black exhaust header/silencer(if they make one not carbon fiber just black) possibly red nerfs w/ black webbing . Black handlebars with red grips and cut stoc fenders red with some same black flames same as motor. (Im not real flame crazy but I thought it would be different.) I also saw a black seat with red flames that was nice too! oh yeah and silver metallic a-arms and swing arm. Steering rod red I think. Thats it thats my ramble for tonight ! Ill post some pics soon My pitty pup chewed the hell outta my usb camera connect !

Sounds like a good start, you atleast have a game plan which is always a good thing. And as far as the nerfs, I haven't seen yet red metal on nerfs, unless they were painted, but I have seen black ones (tusk makes them). I believe you could get black nerfs w/ red netting from tusk.
~Bill

my best guess is that if the job is done right, u would probably pretty darn close. p.s, u might wanna throw in a shot of nos for a surprise!

A-arms and front spindles came off today all thats left is the frame plastic and motor/ trans! Uper a-arms silver ,bottom red ,spindles red, handlebars silver, red grips ordered the motor goodies yesterday and waiting patiently for a couple months so I can justify the $$$$ for the new pipe, carb. Also got a bushing kit for the whole quad. Lost the bid on the 01 rappy shock so Im still looking. Any offers I lost out to 79.00 plus 13 shipping anyone wanna let one go?

Make sure you get the right shock-a dickhead on this board sold me a 02-that he said was a 01-I still am trying to get the money back.Just be patient,I got mine for $59

hey, where in michigan do you live?? im from michigan, i think theres only like 2 others from michigan, boxhead(hes a moderator) and some other guy, let us know where you ride, maybe us michigan guys will get a ride on! sounds like you got a good game plan, talk to box, hes puttin nos in his!

Im in taylor michigan about 15 min south of detroit! I used to work up in brighton! Off kensington rd! I live right by the bridge on 94 over telegraph. We definitely should go ride! I got 3 maybe 5 people to ride with as of now maybe we can find something closer than going north!

What about flint? I hear theres like a few hundred acre park we can ride in???

Hey i'm from MI too, Lincoln Park. I know of two places in Taylor, one in Romulus, one in Detroit and my buddy has property up in Alger near West Branch. You guys let me know if u wanna ride i'm always down.

Back