What Size Jet is everyone running in their wolverine's

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailBoss

Reaction score
looking to compile a list of what jetting and exhaust combos everyone is running. Plz post your setup Thanks :idea:

i have the stock carb 34mm and currently running 148 jet over the stock witch was 143.5 and the cheapest Cobra slipon.

gained: ton of midrange power.

Mikuni 140

I just bought an HMF with a Mikuni kit .... the kit comes with several sizes but HMF recommends the 140 with the can that fits the 450 so that's where I'm going to start.

"HMF Recommended Jetting for Wolverine 450 (06-09)

2006-2009: Slip on: 140 Mikuni Small

These settings were determined on our dyno at 900ft - 60?F"

I have a Full DG exhaust with header no silencer running a 150 main, Stock was a 140. Live in illinois. I did the moose power kit came with K&N filter and dyno jet then bought the pipe. Runs like a Raped Ape !

I had some trouble finding this info before I purchased my DynoJet Kit for the 450 but I found the answer in the instruction manual found here:

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/Q420.pdf

Based on my elevation (below 3000ft) and the fact that I installed a pipe, I used groove #4 on the needle and the DJ128 Jet.

I saved a bunch of money doing the install myself and it was much simpler than I expected and it runs LIKE A CHAMP! No sputtering or hesitation at all and it starts right up.

Hope this helps those who, like me, haven't messed with carbs in the past!

Yea I would say that Dyno Jet is the way to go . The jet size depends on alot of factors, (pipe, carb, air intake) and not to mention your elevation. Dyno jet pretty much spells it out for you. they hit mine right on the money and I'm no carb guy.

ummm lets see i think i am at a 45 pilot and a 165 dynojet main jet and i still done have it right lol

i just bought a dynojet kit for mine and it tells me to us the #3 groove on the neddle and a dj132 jet for below 3000 feet with an aftermarket pipe wats the difference in the grooves?

it works like this .ill try to explain in simple terms im no carb guy like i said before. so here it goes. the needle sits in a hole in the carb. the needle has, were going to say five grooves. if you place the c-clip on the top groove the needle will sit further down in the hole cutting off gas . the lower you place the c-clip it allows the needle to sit further out of the hole allowing more gas to flow. i hope that helps.

I just put an HMF performance pipe, K&N filter and 145 Mikuni small on mine. Runs like a raped ape now.

2007 450

FMF jet kit (Dyno jet packs this kit for FMF)
2" snorkel piping with custon (aljackedup.com) air box, uni filter. Running stock main jet 131.5 and stock pilot jet C-clip on 2nd slot runs great.

just wanna put my 2 cents in.

06 wolverine 450, gytr exhaust, ported head, 11:1 piston, webcams torque cam not overall cam, and hauck modified sheave. Settled on a 140 main and 20 pilot with idle screw out 3 1/4. With just exhaust I ran a 135 and felt it was really close but the pilot was a little lean and it cut out randomly at part throttle steady cruising. Still had this with the 20 pilot after the mods and it cured it backing out the screw another half turn. Tried a 145 and had a bog and generally sluggish feeling to it and even though it ran good with a 135 after the porting and piston, I settled on the 140 to be safe once winter gets here. hope this helps someone in a similar configuration.

these are factory mikuni jets by the way, not dyno jets. I was to cheap to buy the kit. though I did drill out my slide to 7/32 and didn't pick up a noticeable change anywhere.

something a lot of people don't realize is a healthier engine produces a healthier signal to the carb. so it draws more air and since the air is what pulls fuel basically through scavenging over the booster it also pulls more fuel. I feel like a certain carb will only need a narrow window of jetting due to the fact the increased signal draws more air AND fuel. I cant imagine needing a 150 or 160 jet in one of these bikes no matter what is done to the motor. im sure a lot of people wont agree but I see it all the time on drag cars with carbs that aren't matched to the motor. a lot of times too big a carb requires a larger jet and too small of a carb requires a smaller jet than would be expected

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got an 03 wolvy FMF slip on and UNI air filter. Was running a 154 main jet with the needle on the second groove from the top. I now added a 1 1/2 inch pvc snorkel and it ran lean so I moved to the 4th notch from the top on the needle. seems to be running pretty good. best power its had. great throttle response, starts right up. might try a 160 jet and see what happens

Good day Right now I have the stock machine living in an elevation of 2800'. I was thinking of starting with a good air filter, power tip and then tune the carb, till I get a pipe at least. Anyone have any suggestions on what size jets and on the adjustable needle, what groove would I run it in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Frustrated 450

I have an '06 Wolverine 450 with the following:

Web Cams 956 Grind Cam
Web Cams Double Valve Springs
Wiseco 85mm Piston
Port-matched and Polished Head w/Valve Job
K&N Air Filter
Stock Muffler
DynoJet Jet Kit (Most likely the wrong jet)

I am pretty decent at tuning cars with ECMs where I can use a laptop or at least a piggy-back tuning interface, but carb tuning is not my sting point. I lived in South Dakota when I first ran the 450 with this setup, and it ran okay on the recommended jet and fuel screw setting for above 2800' MSL. However, I have since moved back to Texas, and the thing will only idle with the choke nearly all the way on. Plus, I cannot accelerate much over 35mph, and it stutters up to that speed.

I am asking for help because I would like to take the thing apart as few times as possible. I do realize that there is some guess and check with jetting, but my hope is that I can get some good tips and ideas to help me expedite the process.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can provide some advice.

Jeff

For frustrated 450

The change in elevation has made your mixture very lean, suggest pulling the carb to use a richer main jet and pulling the needle out of the jet a bit.

Latest posts

Back