What are the rules for kids on ATV in Iowa?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gy67

Reaction score
I just bought a Warrior and now would like to buy one if not two for my kids to ride but I am not sure if my 9 or 12 year old can ride with me on public grounds? I've heard both ways that they they can and I've been told they need to be 12 years old and have taken an ATV safety course. Can anyone confirm or send me a link to a webpage that can confirm this. Thanks guys.

im not real sure but my atv has a plate that says must be 16 yrs old to operate of something...

Here in oklahoma there is no 2 up riding, and if the atv calls for a person to be 16 then it needs to be a 16 year old, unless the atv is made for a person age like 125, 90 or something like that. So more than likely the 12 year old may have to ride a 90 or something close to it. Plus it may depend on the land owners rules.

Did a google this is what I found,

Safety Helmet Required on funded OHV parks.
Eye Protection Not Required
Minimum Operator Age It's the Law—Iowa's Off-Road Vehicle Laws Age Restrictions for ATV Operation There are no age restrictions for operating an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) on private land. However, the following age restrictions apply to operation of ATVs on designated public lands and ATV Parks. Under 12 years of age: A person under the age of 12 shall not operate an all-terrain vehicle, including an off-road motorcycle, on a designated riding area or designated riding trail or on ice unless one of the following applies: The person is taking a prescribed safety training course and operation is under the direct supervision of a certified all-terrain vehicle safety instructor. ATV and off-road motorcycle riders under the age of 12 must be under the direct supervision of an adult possessing a valid drivers license. Direct supervision means maintaining visual and verbal contact at all times. 12 to 17 years of age: Persons between the ages of 12 and 17, inclusive, may operate on designated public lands or ice or ATV parks if they have a valid ATV safety certificate. Persons 18 or older: Persons age 18 and up may operate on designated public lands or ice or ATV parks without a valid ATV safety certificate
Rider Education Certification Required if under 16 years of age - Required for ATV riders under age 18
Operator License Not Required
Headlight Required after sunset
Taillight Required after sunset
Muffler Required by law
Maximum Sound Level 86dba measured at 50 feet
Spark Arrestor Not Required
Registration Required by law
Vehicle Title Required by law
Trails Program Not Available

I live in Iowa and as far as public grounds go riders can ride larger quads as in your situation as long as they ride within their abilities. I have seen many younger riders in Solon at lake view, infect I got pulled out of a mud hole once by a 14yo on a raptor 660. Just be with your children, be safe, and have fun... Btw where in Iowa r u
Iowadnr.com is the website you need

I live in CR and am thinking of buying my kids a quad to ride to try and get them away from the computer, Wii, PS3 and Xbox for a while.

Its definately a cool idea. The class they would have to take is actually a lot of fun. I took it at the beginning of the summer just to brush up on my skills and I even learned some stuff.

Latest posts

Back