Went riding..

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonp

Reaction score
Bike is starting to burn a little oil on start up only.. did a compression test and leak down. Came out to 180 psi cold. Less then 5 percent leak down which is very good. So it must be the valve seals. I ordered a set of factory ones and I'll put those and see if this stops the problem. I put an aftermarket set in when I had the head rebuilt... cheaper seals must be junk.
Ran really good, until about about 1/4 mile away from where we had the trucks parked, no spark. . Sator pickup coil went bad. It's an a newer ricky stator one that I had bought and the coil was actually loose on the ring. Ohmed it out before taking the bike appart 2 ohms which means it is basically shorted out. I wonder if it was rubbing on the flywheel. So that sucks I might call him up and get a replacement but I'm not sure yet. I might try something else.
Another thing is the starter was making all sorts of noise and I had gone through all of the gears and bearings including the one way about a year ago.. I think I'm going to stick with yamaha lube oil from now on. Ever since I tried some others I've had nothing but problems.
Looks like now all of the gears and one way clutch need to be replaced as there worn pretty good.
This is getting expensive.

jasonp said:
Bike is starting to burn a little oil on start up only.. did a compression test and leak down. Came out to 180 psi cold. Less then 5 percent leak down which is very good. So it must be the valve seals. I ordered a set of factory ones and I'll put those and see if this stops the problem. I put an aftermarket set in when I had the head rebuilt... cheaper seals must be junk.

I have yet to see aftermarket valve seals beat the Yamaha/Suzuki OEM ones for durability and reliability. For those I wont use anything but OEM.

I'm sure you know this, but for everyone else, make sure to NEVER hit valve seals with Carb cleaner or Contact cleaner of any kind. They will swell like crazy at 1st (and seal great!), then after a few rides in the oil bath, they'll go completely to ****.

Jason, have you checked the valve guides themselves? I know you've beeing running a more radical cam, which will generally increase wear, and oblong them faster. If the valves are rock'n a little too much in there, even good valve seals wont help that much.

Jay let me know, I pretty sure I have a whole flywheel and starter clutch just sitting around. Bought it when I though I toasted mine, but ended up fixxing mine easily.

Latest posts

Back