Welder+Grinder+ATC200S Rear rack=Teh WIN!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storydude1

Reaction score
Been wanting a rack for the rear of my 87 for an age. I'm a cheap ****, and 100 bucks is just not gonna happen.

Soooooooo...

My neighbor dropped of a rear rack for a 200S ATC. Mounts to grabbar, and 2 spots on the ATC frame. The grabbar mounts were perfect, and cleared the fenders great. The front mounts were about 5" too far outboard to reach the warrior mounts, so, Grind, cut, weld, boom. Moved the mounts inboard, welded them up, cut 2 slots in my rear fenders and new rear rack.

It really could use to be about 1" taller in the front , as it kinda squishes my fenders down about 2" at the outermost ends, but oh well. Being able to carry a cooler/fishing ****/hunting ****/ wood/tools/anything> Squished fenders.

Now, this is not a production quality job, but it looks good enough for me, and the old lady likes it, so I must have done a good job. ;D

The moral of the story is.....

Get a welder/grinder/metalworking tools, and you can make ANYTHING your mind desires.

While changing my front shocks to raptor shocks I didnt have one shock bushing for the bottom of one of my new raptor shocks. So I used a torch to remove one from the old warrior shock and it was long enough but wasnt nearly as thick. So I grabbed a mig welder and added about 1/4 inch of material to it and stuck it in a drill and spun the drill while holding it against my running cutoff saw blade to shape it into a perfect circle and it looks as good or better than the one from yamaha!! It was pretty hillbilly I admit but I wasnt waiting another 4 days for a bushing to install those shocks

Nice job both of you, It's reassuring to know that there are a good amount of people who trust their work enough to put their lives and others on it. (a gun, tacklebox, or front shock becoming disconnected can lead to a big mess) Just remember for those who don't have much experience with metal work, and welding please don't just try this stuff, you can end up hurting others and yourself badly.
Just the other day a friend didn't want to wait for me to get off work, and he welded a patch onto his doorjam/floorboard on the driver side of his truck. Well the weld didn't hold since he used the frame as a brace and since the stress from the movement of the body mounts, and the rigidness of the frame. Going down the road 2 days later we hear, plink plink plink and some grinding. The sheet came off and was sliding down the road, we're lucky it didn't go through any of his tires, or anyone elses car/windshield around us...

So again if your going to have custom stuff done, please know what your doing.

Ohh, get some pics up of both of your guys handy-work.
~Bill

Id have to take it all apart to show you mine but I have many others..LOL Ill see what I can do. And I think the most Id have to worry about is messing up the metal eye on the shock not so much a catastrophic failure but I agree with your tips whole heartedly. I personally have many hours of training in welding fab. But id never work on my own gun. Well I wouldnt be the first to shoot it if I did anyway.!! LOL

Back