Weird idle

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supplementing

Reaction score
I know this isnt a dirtbike forum, but there is a plethora of knowledge here and its really a general question even you atv guys might know. My dirtbike was running fine, but as it got low on gas it started to idle really high. It has happened before and as soon as I filled it back up, it went back to normal. Well it started idleing high today and sure enough, it was low on gas (almost empty) so I went and got some gas and filled it up and it is still doing it. It was running on 87 octane gas and I put some 89 in it. Could that be the problem? I just ran a tank of 89 through it a few days ago and it was fine, idk why it would act up now. It only idles high when its in neutral or the clutch is fully engaged, as soon as I move the clutch a hair, it calms down to normal. I have messed with the idle screw and it doesnt seem to help at all. Any help would be nice, I cant be letting a 2 stroke idle way up like that, it will kill the top end FAST.Maybe I need to check the air filter? I have been riding the hell out of it and its got pretty dirty lately, the air filter could be dirty.

sounds like a dirty pilot jet

I was kinda thinking the carb needed to be cleaned, Its ran out of gas twice since Ive had it, its probably sucked some trash into the carb. The damn thing sucks down some gas, it probably doesnt help that I keep it tacked way up in the powerband most of the time, I runs out of gas before I know it. I mean, a full tank is lasting me like a couple hours if im lucky, it seems like 5 minutes b.c Im having a blast the entire time. Im gonna take the carb off and rebuild it soon anyway b/c god knows when/if the previous owner did and its a 93.

Part of it idling high when it is very low on gas, is because it is running mostly on vapors.

Part of it idling high when it is very low on gas, is because it is running mostly on vapors.

Yea, but after I topped it off, it continued doing it today. I dunno, im gonna clean the carb tomorrow.Hopefully it helps.

Back