Ways to beat z400 in bottom-mid range power?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester2899

Reaction score
Anyone know of a nice cheap carb that will give me the most increase in power with bottom to mid range power? Im looking for something that if I crank the gas and pull up, my raptor 350 will come up. I have heard good things about the edel-Brock carb. Is it hard to start in the winter, how hard is it to get set and adjusted right? If I bought the carb, is it worth putting all other mods on on hold? Help please.

The edel is really expensive, and I don't think it would give much, if any more torque than the stocker. The stock carb on the rappy is really good, unlike the warrior. You would be better off with a pipe/filter than an edel.

I already have a HMF slip on, with a uni clamp on running no lid and a 12 tooth sprocket. Just looking for something for some boost in torque, and so many people said it increases it, but I guess that was for the warrior? Well the edelbrock I saw on ebay was like 200$ but it was the twist conversion one.

If a new carb won't help me with bottom to mid, what else are good things to do? I was thinking new rear tires for better traction, and MAYBE a trail webcam, but wasn't really ready to go into the engine.

Most people I've heard said the edel gave good bottom and mid. I dont' have one so that is just hearsay, but the edel site claims 2 hp gain on stock raptor. I disagree with madcow, raptor carb SUX!

Most people I've heard said the edel gave good bottom and mid. I dont' have one so that is just hearsay, but the edel site claims 2 hp gain on stock raptor. I disagree with madcow, raptor carb SUX!

Why would you say that? It's a CV carb, so it's got good throttle response and flows enough air for this motor. It's almost the same carb as the Z400 uses. If you think that carb sucks, wait 'till you see the warrior carb, it's been proven to be an piece of crap, even compared to other flat slide carbs.

... and I don't think it would give much, if any more torque than the stocker. The stock carb on the rappy is really good, unlike the warrior. You would be better off with a pipe/filter than an edel.

This is correct. And it may even lose some bottom/mid range compared to the BSR36 CV (which is one of Mikunis better designs, its an excellent carb).

A CV carb will give superior bottom and mid-range compared to a flatslide. Flatslides are better for top-end (more 2 stroke'ish in behavior).

Check out these topics...

http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=reviews&thread=1157936844&page=1

http://yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1186457596&page=1

totally agree with griff, listen to what he is saying. The CV carb is IMO the carb to have for the warrior/raptor 350. Great for mid range and bottom end torque.

Might be better off with a good cam.

Jason, which cam was it with the killer torque spread.... Web .390 #88?

Alright thanks for the help. So even with a CV type carb, it still wont give me a lot of torque? Im trying to set my bike up for bottom-mid because my friend is getting a z400, and we race on a short driveway, which I usually get into like 4/5th gear most, so Im just want to keep up with him, because he is annoying if he wins.

This is not the only reason. I never use 6th gear, and rarely use 5th. Especially since installing the 12 tooth, I run through the gears faster. So you think a cam would give me better torque?

With a torque cam installed will I run through the gears excessively fast?

Any other options without going into the engine, that will help me beat a z400?

i ALSO don't mean like top end beat it, I mean like a short race. I know that it wont have time to get up to top speed, thats for sure, so I need bottom-to mid, and I also am looking for that wheelie power! lol

Well a stroker kit would give you a good deal more torque, and I think the Web .390 cam give alot or torque too.

Well a stroker kit would give you a good deal more torque, and I think the Web .390 cam give alot or torque too.

Is the 366 kit worth the money? I mean is there anything I can do to my quad to make it have more torque and midrange without really going into the engine just yet?

I don't know about engine mods because I haven't done any, but that's the only way to get a good power/torque boost IMO, pipes and filters don't add too much.

Alright, thank you. So As i believe Griff? said the CV carbs are the best, but wont give as much torque as a cam, correct?

Will the 366 kit for like 250 from powroll, give me the same amount of torque/mid range power as the .390 webcam?

Any other things you suggest? Also I will be getting my news eventually for the rear, so I will get a better take off.

Good luck, Z's arent too slow ;D. I cant compare anything between my z's to my warriors, except they have 4 tires lol. Honestly though, those warriors kick my 400's ass in the mud. I'm sure you can make a warrior faster then your friends Z400, just might be a bit more costy.

I know I will never catch up to the z in top end power, but low to mid, I think I will get em, with a little help from a cam or something.

Also I hate to make a a new thread so I will ask it here. My quad is very tippy over tight turns, I was looking into getting + 1.5" spacers on each side, would this be enough support? Would I best to get 2.5" on each side in the front, and then 1.5" on each side in the rear?

Please help

just as easy to start in winter as a stocker...just give it a couple pumps of gas and push the start button...always starts up really quick for me....it starts up a lost faster in warm weather then stocks too which i like.

I know I will never catch up to the z in top end power, but low to mid, I think I will get em, with a little help from a cam or something.

Also I hate to make a a new thread so I will ask it here. My quad is very tippy over tight turns, I was looking into getting + 1.5" spacers on each side, would this be enough support? Would I best to get 2.5" on each side in the front, and then 1.5" on each side in the rear?

Please help

You want the front to be a little bit wider then the rear right, so these are the choices Im going with which one will be the best?

+2.25 Each Side [+4.5 KIT] -FRONT
+1.5 Each Side [+3 ] - REAR

+2.5 Each Side [+5] Front
+1.5 Each Side [+3] rEAR

+1.5 Each Side [+3] Front
Rear Stock

Which would be a good combo for trail riding?

Wheel spacers aren't really a good way to widen a quad when you're doing it mainly for performance. For a 4x4 that needs extra clearance for bigger tires they're fine, but for a sport quad they really mess with the front suspension.

The rear axle isn't really a big deal with spacers, but for the same price G-force actually makes extended hubs which is lighter and more solid than spacers. But spacers on the front gives you some noticable bump steer (rocks and roots want to rip the handlebars away from you), and they make it easier to break tie rod ends, accelerate wear on wheel bearings and ball joints, and soften up the front shocks. So weigh your advantages and disadvantages here, and think about if it's really worth the trouble for a couple extra inches in width.

If you're really hellbent on widening the front end without spending the money for a-arms and shocks, one of the diamond J kits is probably the best way to go (which is hard for me to say, because personally I think these kits are a half-assed way of widening a quad.) At least they make an attempt at retaining the stock suspension geometry so you're not putting a bunch of stress on the bearings, ball joints, and tie rod ends, and in theory it shouldn't add any leverage to the shocks either.

Wheel spacers aren't really a good way to widen a quad when you're doing it mainly for performance. For a 4x4 that needs extra clearance for bigger tires they're fine, but for a sport quad they really mess with the front suspension.

The rear axle isn't really a big deal with spacers, but for the same price G-force actually makes extended hubs which is lighter and more solid than spacers. But spacers on the front gives you some noticable bump steer (rocks and roots want to rip the handlebars away from you), and they make it easier to break tie rod ends, accelerate wear on wheel bearings and ball joints, and soften up the front shocks. So weigh your advantages and disadvantages here, and think about if it's really worth the trouble for a couple extra inches in width.

If you're really hellbent on widening the front end without spending the money for a-arms and shocks, one of the diamond J kits is probably the best way to go (which is hard for me to say, because personally I think these kits are a half-assed way of widening a quad.) At least they make an attempt at retaining the stock suspension geometry so you're not putting a bunch of stress on the bearings, ball joints, and tie rod ends, and in theory it shouldn't add any leverage to the shocks either.

Alright thanks. I really am not widening the front end just for links. I need it done because the way the raptor 350 is built around turns it gets very tippy. I found this 30$ wheel spacers that are 1.5" each side, so I was just gonna install those, But i have been reading its bad for the quad.

I see those kits on ebay, the +4.5 and 6 kits right? They are like 170$ though. Also I think 4.5 total would be to wide maybe for the trails I RIDE? Not sure.

Stay away from widening kits. Shocks and a-arms are the best way to make your bike wider. It costs alot more, but it makes your quad look so much better, and preform better. I'm way faster on my grey z then my yellow z because of the suspension.I'm riding through whoops with one hand on my handlebar while my friend on his 300ex is trying his best not to bust his ass.

Latest posts

Back